+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Formula Student Germany 2006 Competition: -Updates, Pictures, Stories and More

Congratulation to TU Graz. With surmounting the difficulties you had, you really deserved to win!

We didn't win the competition but we won almost as valuable thing instead. Matti Parpola Racing Team vs. Brookes: 3-2. Though I think this rivalry will continue til it's 87-85..

Here's all the "publishable" photos from Helsinki:

http://www.formula.stadia.fi/

For bigger versions->private message
    ------------------------------------------
    Kimmo Hirvonen
    Helsinki Polytechnic Formula Engineering Team '04-'07

Congratulations to all teams, how makes FSG 2006 to a great competition.

FSG was a great competition. It was a lot of work for the teams and for use. And see finish guys smiling was the best feedback. Ok nearly everybody smiled that evening.

We had a lot of teams who had bad luck, for example FH Graz, TU Munich, UNSW (broken Fuse after 20 m) and so on, but i´m sure all teams enjoyed that competition. I hope all of you had a save trip home and already started with their new car.

Hope to see you next year.

Thanks for that stage diving, we should make that again next year.

And also thanks to all teams, all volunteers and all other people how makes that event so great.

I promise we will make it better next year!!!

Frank Ruska Roeske
    Frank Roeske
    -------------------------
    Member of the Executive Committee
    Formula Student Germany

Hi All,

I just wanted to say how great this event was organised by Frank and the rest of his team. Although this was only my second competition, the other being FS UK, I can't see too many areas where improvements could be made. I am sure many teams from this year will spread the word...

Well Done.

For me this event was quite special as I was competing against my younger brother, Jilbruke (some of you may know?), in his last ever event for the Uni of New South Wales. I had heard many stories of designing, building, testing and racing over the last five years from him and now this year have seen many of them first hand in my team - Oxford Brookes.

As Craig had mentioned earlier, we had had a few problems with setup on Saturday so was going to be difficult for us to challenge for an outright win. However UNSW were about 20 points behind before the enduro and had a serius challenger. I was gutted to see them not make it very far...I guess the donuts made up for it somewhat!

Finally a big hello to all the other teams out there from me and thank you for the good competition you have provided along with the friendships I have made.

Will no doubt see you all soon!

Jenner Collins
    Oxford Brookes Uni
    jennerabc@yahoo.com.au
    Jenner Collins
    Class 1 Group Leader
    Oxford Brookes University, UK

www.brookesracing.co.uk

Never give up.

I figured I'd share some of my thoughts about FSG before I forget something.

As pointed out here and at the event, FSG was a great event, as Pat said, probably the best in the world so far! I must agree!

We (Royal Institue of Tech. Stockholm) had some arguments with the judges about the rules, something that is quite tricky. One thing that I think will improve to next year is the judges rules knowledge. I don't say that they have to have the same knowledge as us students who spend a year building a car according to the rules. Furthermore, the insecurity that some judges showed resulted in some weird interpretations of the rules and the intent of the rules got lost. But as I said, I think this will be much better next year when the judges have some more experience.

I also believe that some of the more practical parts of the rules such as "moving the car outside the pits" parts of the rules, weren't reinforced although some judges admitted that they've seen teams running with cars etc. FSG was a "strict" event, something I don't mind, but I believe it then has to be strict in every single way. Otherwise we'll get some parts of the rules that will be more of recommendations.

Finally, if the rules has to be fair, same rules should apply to all, during the endurance we got 2 technical flags because our front wing was touching the ground. As we all know, the track was quite bumpy, so we had raised our car with 20 mm in the front in order to aviod the wing touching the ground. In the slower sprint track we had no problems with it, but with the faster endurance track in combination with warm tires, our front wing touched the ground in some turn/brake/bump situations around the track. Sure, I know it's at the judges discretion, but several other cars touched the ground as well... But got away with it, to conclude, if you want keep FSG a strict event, which I believe you guys should, make sure the same rules apply for all. No hard feelings, but without the technical flags we could've been top 5 in the endurance... "could've been"

It was sad to see some top-notch cars that also "could've been" but all sorts of failures that you really can't prepare for didn't finish the endurance, Loughborugh, FH Graz, Redback Racing etc. Some highly competitive cars that put up a great show but fell on the finish line.

One other good thing with FSG event, the weighing after the endurance. One of the top team actual weighed 10 kg more after the endurance compared to the weighing for design...

To summarize, a great competition, great people, great cars, not so great campsite.

See you next year!

Henning Olsson
    Technical Director KTH Racing
    Royal Insitute of Technology
    Stockholm, Sweden
    KTH Racing '03-'08
    Dartmouth Formula Racing '07

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HenningO:

We ... had some arguments with the judges about the rules, something that is quite tricky. One thing that I think will improve to next year is the judges rules knowledge.

Finally, if the rules has to be fair, same rules should apply to all, during the endurance we got 2 technical flags because our front wing was touching the ground. As we all know, the track was quite bumpy, so we had raised our car with 20 mm in the front in order to aviod the wing touching the ground. In the slower sprint track we had no problems with it, but with the faster endurance track in combination with warm tires, our front wing touched the ground in some turn/brake/bump situations around the track. Sure, I know it's at the judges discretion, but several other cars touched the ground as well... But got away with it, to conclude, if you want keep FSG a strict event, which I believe you guys should, make sure the same rules apply for all. No hard feelings, but without the technical flags we could've been top 5 in the endurance... "could've been"

Henning, we flagged your car out, because it not only hits the ground on the bump, it also touched th ground during normal cornering. It would suggest your wing wasn´t high enough for your rollstiffness you choose. Before we flagged you out, your car had at least 4-5 ground contacts each lap, and that is just to much!

Frank

And the rear wing isn´t a proper push bar, which fullfills the rules. And i will be the bad guy with the alkohol tester again next year.
    Frank Roeske
    Formula Student Germany

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank "Ruska" Roeske:
    Henning, we flagged your car out, because it not only hits the ground on the bump, it also touched th ground during normal cornering. It would suggest your wing wasn´t high enough for your rollstiffness you choose. Before we flagged you out, your car had at least 4-5 ground contacts each lap, and that is just to much!

Frank
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, you could be right

While on the subject of drugs (alcohol), I'd really like to see FSG as a completly smoke-free event. I see no reason why smoking should be allowed near cars or at the grand stands.
    KTH Racing '03-'08
    Dartmouth Formula Racing '07

Henning, personal i´m agree to you and we will find another way to handle the smoking next year.
    Frank Roeske
    Formula Student Germany

I would agree on the smoking comment, I was feeling a bit annoyed by some people smoking in the pit area, while there were smoking areas specified. But I could agree, that as a student, you would not want to tell an event sponsor, that he should smoke somewhere else. On the other hand, if it is near fueled up cars, the safety question starts popping up....

That was the probably the most fun i've ever had.

Frank- You the man!!! Thanks for dragging us half way round the world.

Aachen- Thanks for hosting us, you were so much help, Especially Neals, who prevented us from starving.

Cardiff- Without you guys i probably would have been lost in the forest somewhere.

TUG- Congratulations on a great win, and on having the forsite to bring several kegs with you, (and thanks for sharing it around )

Thanks to All the FSG crew, for an awesome, well run event, and a wicked party on Sunday night.

Ross,
    UNSW.... I was the guy in glad wrap on sunday night. :P

Can anyone with pics of the event get in touch with me.

Sam_collins@ipcmedia.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6