+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Status 2012

We are currently in the process of finishing off the designs for each sub task (we have made several iterations), we are only missing a full vehicle dynamics simulation and some accurate data to finalize the designs on (tire data should be available within one week).

Id say we have one month to produce our full, final designs. Then start ordering and manufacturing, hopefully by then we will have more sponsors

Mohamed Nader
    Cairo University Racing Team Technical Director 2012
    Cairo University Racing Team Technical Director 2011-2012
    Tyres and Vehicle dynamics
    Suspension team head 2010

Our last competition was Italy at the start of September, so we are slowly coming back from holidays. We finally got TTC data few weeks ago, ao analysis of tons of data is underway. This weekend we are cleaning our shop and then starting with the design process in October.

We have our chassis completed and welded up, all other designs done, and are about 30-40% complete with fabricating everything. We are a first year team and I thought we were behind for the 2012 Michigan comp.
    Team Captain
    Osprey Racing - UNF SAE

We're about 75% done with our suspension design, chassis is about half way done, powertrain is still designing the intake and we're ordering some finalized parts already.
    Carlos Vargas
    Florida Tech FSAE

Halfway through the design process .. with no data for the engine and tires!!

Alexandria University Motorsports Team
    Team Leader and Technical Director 11-12
    Fuel intake 09-10

Hello All,

I am a first time FSAE team member of my university. I am sorry for my kiddish query but a couple of days back, I saw my team mates rubbing the mild steel tubes with sandpaper to remove rust. Later I realised that this strong concentrated rubbing has changed the dimension along a fairly large length of tube.
    When I measured it with a caliper, the dimension was varying from 24.9 to 25.0 instead of being exact 25.0 throughout the length.
    Now, as we all are inexperienced, could anyone of you please tell me if this much dimensional inaccuracy is avoided by the judges at the competition or do they strictly follow each and every word written in the rule book.

I there any method to adjust the dimension ar we have to buy new steel tubes.

Originally posted by Florence:
    Hello All,

I am a first time FSAE team member of my university. I am sorry for my kiddish query but a couple of days back, I saw my team mates rubbing the mild steel tubes with sandpaper to remove rust. Later I realised that this strong concentrated rubbing has changed the dimension along a fairly large length of tube.
    When I measured it with a caliper, the dimension was varying from 24.9 to 25.0 instead of being exact 25.0 throughout the length.
    Now, as we all are inexperienced, could anyone of you please tell me if this much dimensional inaccuracy is avoided by the judges at the competition or do they strictly follow each and every word written in the rule book.

I there any method to adjust the dimension ar we have to buy new steel tubes.
    Paint?

But I have heard that for measuring dimensions, judges use radiographic probes. Won't it reveal the actual dimension ???

Please suggest, is there any simple way to solve this problem ??

Replace the tubes, and don't let people sand them so darn much!

Seriously! That's 0.1 mm. 4 thousandths of an inch for us imperial folks. Hell, the variation in size between two seemingly identical tubes is probably bigger than that. That's less than the accuracy of most measuring devices.
    Don't worry about it man. If you start seeing differences of like 1mm or more, I'd start to get worried. But for something this small, you'll be fine.
    San Jose State University

FSAE Chassis and Ergonomics Lead '12-'13
    FSAE Chief Engineer '11-'12
    FSAE Chassis Technical Lead '10-'11
    Formula Hybrid Chassis Grunt '09-'10

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing le

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast