+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: HAYABUSA-ENGINED FSAE

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by noel:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ninjaneer:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by noel:
    The Hayabusa bike weighs about 480 lb -- even slightly more than an FSAE racer.

Yet such a stock Hayabusa (except for the turbo) hit 251.148 mph on Aug 1, 2004 at Goliad, Texas ridden by 60-year-old racer Scott Guthrie.

This still remains the fastest street-legal bike speed record up to today.

If a stock Hayabusa engine and gearbox were fitted into an FSAE racer, most likely the total weight would just be around 500 lb or so.

With the right wheels, suspension mods, and gearing, 200 mph is realistic for a Hayabusa-engined FSAE racer.

200 mph racing for not much more than the cost of a regular FSAE racer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On What planet did a "stock" Busa' do even 200mph?!! First, a hayabusa WILL NOT do 200mph (even with out a speed limiter). Second, THEY HAVE A SPEED LIMITER!!
    The only bikes on the market that does not cut off at 186mph (avail. in the CONUS) are the Ducati Superbikes. They circumvented this federal req. by making the speedo stop counting at 186 (Although if you turn on the "lap timer" the secondary display will display speeds in excess of 186)
    The only years that the Hayabusa was the fastest production bike were 1999 an 2000. They had a speed limiter of 209 back then, but still did not have the power (stock) to break the 200mph mark.
    They lie somewhere in the 180-190 HP range, The new BMW 1000RR is a 200HP motorcycle and lighter (by far) than the suzuki, it still will not reach 200 even without the speed-limiter removed.
    Keep in mind that every one "knows someone" who went 200mph on their 600cc CBR. BS. Indicated speed is not the same as actual speed.......not even close. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scott Guthrie, at age 59 3/4 an aging racer for sure, slammed Rich Yancy's street legal Suzuki Hayabusa hard through the 250 MPH barrier, to a final official record speed of 251.148 MPH. *That's the fastest speed ever recorded for a street bike, and the fastest record in history for what land speed racers call an "open wheel bike," and the track record.

Guthrie's big speed came on his final run Sunday 1 AUG 04 at the TEXAS MILE top speed race ( www.texasmile.com * ) near Goliad, TX. *The 251.148 MPH ternimal speed was after a standing-start mile run to the timing trap. *Guthrie said " With the wind coming up, and the day getting warmer, I knew that run was going to be the only chance in my life to break the 250 MPH barrier. The run before was a 248 MPH time, so I knew the bike was ready. *I just had to put down the best pass of my life to get the record."

Rich Yancy, an engine man for Dale Earnhardt Inc, trucked his daily ride bike from his home in Charlotte NC to Texas for just this meet, at Guthrie's insistance. *"This is the best paved Land Speed Racing track available in the USA, and I knew *we had to go there to have any real chance for this record. *My agreement to ride for Rich was up Sunday evening, so This was it." *Guthrie allowed later. "I knew the bike was capabale of that speed, I just had to be the one to ride it."

Before Guthrie took over the fast seat, builder Yancy himself made a track-record run of 244.358 MPH. *"It is so confidence inspiring that Rich is willing to build and tune the bike, prepare it and deliver it to the track by himself. *And then he sets the track record himself, and hands me the keys! *I just KNEW the bike was safe, fast, and would run straight." Guthrie glowed, "How many tuners will do that for their riders? *Rich is a quiet genius with the bike, and one of the world's best land speed racers, in his own right."

Yancy's bike is almost standard in appearance, with stock appearing bodywork and tank, stock forks, stock wheelbase, and full street equipment. *The big difference is the addition of a MR TURBO turbo kit, which has been extensively modified by Yancy, including a VERY trick Yancy designed -and-built intercooler. *No skinny thing, the bike weighs in at full standard curb weight.

"This bike is so docile off the throttle, you get no idea about the power on tap. *Rich told me he was going to ride it to work when he got home, and show it off to his friends at the job." *Guthrie said. In addition to building the record setting Hayabusa, Yancy had a hand in building the engine for this years' winner of the NASCAR Daytona 500.

Terry Kiser, builder of the MR TURBO kit was on hand to watch Guthrie's record breaking 251 MPH blast. *Kiser remarked: "Guthrie's run was by no means easy. *From 500 yards away, I saw the wind catch him twice. He's lucky he stayed on!" *Kiser then took the bars himself, and posted a 239.304 MPH personal best. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds like not a stock bike at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zac:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ninjaneer:
    The Hayabusa bike weighs about 480 lb -- even slightly more than an FSAE racer.

Yet such a stock Hayabusa (except for the turbo) hit 251.148 mph on Aug 1, 2004 at Goliad, Texas ridden by 60-year-old racer Scott Guthrie.

This still remains the fastest street-legal bike speed record up to today.

If a stock Hayabusa engine and gearbox were fitted into an FSAE racer, most likely the total weight would just be around 500 lb or so.

With the right wheels, suspension mods, and gearing, 200 mph is realistic for a Hayabusa-engined FSAE racer.

200 mph racing for not much more than the cost of a regular FSAE racer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On What planet did a "stock" Busa' do even 200mph?!! First, a hayabusa WILL NOT do 200mph (even with out a speed limiter). Second, THEY HAVE A SPEED LIMITER!!
    The only bikes on the market that does not cut off at 186mph (avail. in the CONUS) are the Ducati Superbikes. They circumvented this federal req. by making the speedo stop counting at 186 (Although if you turn on the "lap timer" the secondary display will display speeds in excess of 186)
    The only years that the Hayabusa was the fastest production bike were 1999 an 2000. They had a speed limiter of 209 back then, but still did not have the power (stock) to break the 200mph mark.
    They lie somewhere in the 180-190 HP range, The new BMW 1000RR is a 200HP motorcycle and lighter (by far) than the suzuki, it still will not reach 200 even without the speed-limiter removed.
    Keep in mind that every one "knows someone" who went 200mph on their 600cc CBR. BS. Indicated speed is not the same as actual speed.......not even close. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scott Guthrie, at age 59 3/4 an aging racer for sure, slammed Rich Yancy's street legal Suzuki Hayabusa hard through the 250 MPH barrier, to a final official record speed of 251.148 MPH. *That's the fastest speed ever recorded for a street bike, and the fastest record in history for what land speed racers call an "open wheel bike," and the track record.

Guthrie's big speed came on his final run Sunday 1 AUG 04 at the TEXAS MILE top speed race ( www.texasmile.com * ) near Goliad, TX. *The 251.148 MPH ternimal speed was after a standing-start mile run to the timing trap. *Guthrie said " With the wind coming up, and the day getting warmer, I knew that run was going to be the only chance in my life to break the 250 MPH barrier. The run before was a 248 MPH time, so I knew the bike was ready. *I just had to put down the best pass of my life to get the record."

Rich Yancy, an engine man for Dale Earnhardt Inc, trucked his daily ride bike from his home in Charlotte NC to Texas for just this meet, at Guthrie's insistance. *"This is the best paved Land Speed Racing track available in the USA, and I knew *we had to go there to have any real chance for this record. *My agreement to ride for Rich was up Sunday evening, so This was it." *Guthrie allowed later. "I knew the bike was capabale of that speed, I just had to be the one to ride it."

Before Guthrie took over the fast seat, builder Yancy himself made a track-record run of 244.358 MPH. *"It is so confidence inspiring that Rich is willing to build and tune the bike, prepare it and deliver it to the track by himself. *And then he sets the track record himself, and hands me the keys! *I just KNEW the bike was safe, fast, and would run straight." Guthrie glowed, "How many tuners will do that for their riders? *Rich is a quiet genius with the bike, and one of the world's best land speed racers, in his own right."

Yancy's bike is almost standard in appearance, with stock appearing bodywork and tank, stock forks, stock wheelbase, and full street equipment. *The big difference is the addition of a MR TURBO turbo kit, which has been extensively modified by Yancy, including a VERY trick Yancy designed -and-built intercooler. *No skinny thing, the bike weighs in at full standard curb weight.

"This bike is so docile off the throttle, you get no idea about the power on tap. *Rich told me he was going to ride it to work when he got home, and show it off to his friends at the job." *Guthrie said. In addition to building the record setting Hayabusa, Yancy had a hand in building the engine for this years' winner of the NASCAR Daytona 500.

Terry Kiser, builder of the MR TURBO kit was on hand to watch Guthrie's record breaking 251 MPH blast. *Kiser remarked: "Guthrie's run was by no means easy. *From 500 yards away, I saw the wind catch him twice. He's lucky he stayed on!" *Kiser then took the bars himself, and posted a 239.304 MPH personal best. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds like not a stock bike at all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Zac, as I mentioned in my post above, everything in that Busa was stock except for the turbo. The article didn't mention if the owner lowered the gear ratios. But the bike was street legal, and the owner rode it to work everyday.

@Diablo

What do you want the dry sump for? If it is to prevent oil starvation of the engine in a car application it is much easier and cheaper to run a decent oil accumulator. Its like a capacitor for your oiling system and will provide a few seconds of oil feed if your pick-up starves, allowing time for the engine to pick up more and increasing the amount of oil available for pick-up.

We found they really helped level out oil pressure in FSAE applications, its great insurance for your engine.

See: w w w.accusump.com/
    Regards,

Scott Wordley

Scoring in every event for the last 12 comps running!
    http://www.monashmotorsport.com/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Zac:

Zac, as I mentioned in my post above, everything in that Busa was stock except for the turbo. The article didn't mention if the owner lowered the gear ratios. But the bike was street legal, and the owner rode it to work everyday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2 minutes on google. Noel, you assume too much.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manu...fast-busa-16429.html

Rich Yancy is a lead machinist for Dale Jr.'s NASCAR team for starters, He's rebuilt the engine twice over the bike's first 5 years. Oversized JE pistons, at 10:1 CR, Carrillo Rods, Ferrea valves (exhaust is 2mm bigger), and a ported head. Never mind the custom icebox/intercooler. Or the fact that he's had it tuned men who owe their livelihood and reputation on their abilities.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by whiltebeitel:

Zac, as I mentioned in my post above, everything in that Busa was stock except for the turbo. The article didn't mention if the owner lowered the gear ratios. But the bike was street legal, and the owner rode it to work everyday. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2 minutes on google. Noel, you assume too much.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manu...fast-busa-16429.html

Rich Yancy is a lead machinist for Dale Jr.'s NASCAR team for starters, He's rebuilt the engine twice over the bike's first 5 years. Oversized JE pistons, at 10:1 CR, Carrillo Rods, Ferrea valves (exhaust is 2mm bigger), and a ported head. Never mind the custom icebox/intercooler. Or the fact that he's had it tuned men who owe their livelihood and reputation on their abilities. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info, whiltebeitel :-)

@ Scott Wordley -

yes of course, we had used accusump in 2008 and 09, it works great.

Got enough technical reasons to use dry sump but more than that want to play around a little with it (since cost is not the issue , for once) .

I guess it will be better if I PM you. dnt mean to hijack this thread.
    Hiren G Patel

FS – Orion Combustion (Founder Member)
    -------Prototype '06
    -------Powertrain Lead '06 '07 '08 '09
    -------Composites guy '10
    -------Technical Director '10
    -------Technial Advisor/Mentor '12

I built a dry sump system back in 2001 and it is not something that I would ever do again for the fun of it!
    Regards,

Scott Wordley

Scoring in every event for the last 12 comps running!
    http://www.monashmotorsport.com/

@ Scott Wordley -

I guess I am as enthusiastic as you must have been pre 2001. Its seems worth the experience since it seems a simple system yet everyone's been having problems with it.

My team just got parts fabricated for Dry sump system for FSAE, will hopefully be testing soon. can't wait.
    Hiren G Patel

FS – Orion Combustion (Founder Member)
    -------Prototype '06
    -------Powertrain Lead '06 '07 '08 '09
    -------Composites guy '10
    -------Technical Director '10
    -------Technial Advisor/Mentor '12

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4