+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is "engineering" still respected?

Hahahahahah MY VIRGIN EYES
    Dalhousie FSAE
    Drivetrain/Braking

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SpdRcr:
    i cant believe my last post was edited.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

huh, posts can be edited? I thought this wasnt an sae sanctioned forum, noone wants there mom reading what they said, so dont become someones mom please......
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

There is a difference between being 'common sense' smart and being 'book smart'. Many times in engineering, these overlap. I've seen many engineers struggle with something that is so conceptually simple, but know all the little tricks to solving long equations and graduate with a 4.0. Those are the ones that really scare people.

There are also just truley gifted engineers that are good at it all. My dad is an engineer who says the best engineer he works with barely made it through school because he was so bad at math.

Cant really be stereotypical about it, really.

hey spdrcr, sorry i edit your post. I figured that it'd be my job as a moderator to edit stuff with profanity and such. But after going thru my duties description given my the owner, apparently profanity isnt one of them.

I think i got confused with other forums that i've been in .

So go ahead ... swear all you want
    RiNaZ

fuck! ass!

Boondock Saints anyone?

wow, this is far off the original topic...
    B. Bell
    UNH Precision Racing
    www.unh.edu/fsae

No it's not, it's proving why engineers shouldn't be respected. hehe
    mmmm..... Garlic.

en·gi·neer ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nj-nĂ®r)
    n.
    1. One who is trained or professionally engaged in a branch of engineering.
    2. One who operates an engine.
    3. One who skillfully or shrewdly manages an enterprise

We had a similar discussion earlier this year, about whether our team members could have their official titles include the word 'engineer'. The idea was that we are NOT engineers yet, since we haven't graduated (at least most of us haven't). We are doing engineering work, but getting pissed off at people who have done IT courses and call themselves engineers is no different than people who have finished their degree and are in the industry getting pissed off at undergraduates who think they are just as qualified as them.

But then, if you take the second definition listed above, we're all engineers and have been for some time now. I don't know *where* the third definition comes from.

going to work and doing what you want to do is more important than trying to make a million dollars. sure, go ahead and work everyday for the rest of your life doing something you hate. you'll be rich, but you'll hate your life 8-12 hours a day, monday through friday/saturday. and if you plan on getting rich building racecars, good luck. and if you like screwing people over, you can be a rich lawyer. and a dick
    ----------
    "why does your car sound like a tractor?" - TDI

I had an electric train set once, I operated it, am I an engineer?
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast