+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Is "engineering" still respected?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ScottW:
    So yes, I think engineers don't get near as much respect as they deserve for as much as they progress society, as opposed to just winning lawsuits. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Save a baboon, use a lawyers heart.

That was a good bumper sticker I saw.

And let people call themselves what they want, it is the work/results that shine through. I know a guy named Jim-Bob who is a waste managment engineer and drives around the back of a big green dump truck...
    B. Bell
    UNH Precision Racing
    www.unh.edu/fsae

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I know a guy named Jim-Bob who is a waste managment engineer and drives around the back of a big green dump truck... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And none of us want to be THAT engineer. I think you have a valid complaint. Call home and your mom will send some cookies.

Really, I hope all of you don't feel like the fat kid (always picked on). Just take a second and think of all the jobs that people get very little respect/pay for that you wouldn't do. I am sure that most of didn't go to college with the thought, "When I get out, everyone's gonna kiss my ass!" I am sure that you went to get an education in a career that you enjoy and pays what you can live with (not live on). If you want respect, do something extraordinary: save a whale, starve yourself in he name of humanity, feed the starving children of the world, etc.

If you ever noticed the news, they don't announce the engineers who designed the plane that is dropping food into starving nations, they announce the eople, the groups, etc. that are sending the relief. Maybe you are in the wrong business if you feel otherwise.
    Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jersey Tom:
    Looking at the quality of work from some of the graduating ME's this year on their senior design projects etc, there's some people I feel are very bright and will do very well, and there are others who scare me. There are those who busted their ass getting there and will have good jobs, and there are those who just kinda got by.

Manufacturing engineering is challenging stuff, I might add. Ridiculously low percentage of graduating engineers who really have a solid understanding of how stuff is manufactured and the problems incurred. I have much more respect for a machinist or toolmaker of some odd years of experience who is taking a Mfg. Eng. position, than I do some rookie mechanical design engineer just out of an ivy league school. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Having looked at (and taken) a job in manufacturing, I agree, its by no means as easy as some of the other people I'm going to be working with think it will be. But doing FSAE, the cost report, hanging around competition, etc., has taught me a lot, as has a manufacturing class I took with a guy who was a walking encyclopedia of manufacturing processes. Regardless, I decided to go into manufacturing because there was so much to learn, and I enjoy it.
    one of the jobs i looked at sounds right up your alley, jersey tom. it was a manufacturing position where the day to day work was QA/troubleshooting: you get a team of a dozen seasoned unioners and when a machine breaks, you fix it. fast.

with respect to the respect engineers get, all i'm going to say is this: try going to a bar, meeting a pretty girl, then when she asks what you do, tell her you're an engineer. and see what she does.
    that's why i'm only going to say the name of the company i work for. i don't want to be known as an engineer.
    Mike Miles
    Carnegie Mellon SAE/Carnegie Mellon Racing -- Formula SAE 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">with respect to the respect engineers get, all i'm going to say is this: try going to a bar, meeting a pretty girl, then when she asks what you do, tell her you're an engineer. and see what she does. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well thats sliiiightly different. That's why I tell them I play guitar and build/drive racecars. If I'm still coherent at that point. Usually not the case.

I love the manufacturing engineering aspect of stuff though. Working between the design engineers and the toolmakers, machinists, welders, et cetera. Get to play around in both worlds. Lot of fun.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

You guys are all in school to learn how to drive trains, right?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CMURacing - Prometheus:

with respect to the respect engineers get, all i'm going to say is this: try going to a bar, meeting a pretty girl, then when she asks what you do, tell her you're an engineer. and see what she does.
    that's why i'm only going to say the name of the company i work for. i don't want to be known as an engineer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i go home to my prom queen and shes damn happy im an engineer.
    B. Bell
    UNH Precision Racing
    www.unh.edu/fsae

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">i go home to my prom queen and shes damn happy im an engineer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We all think you're the man.
    Dalhousie FSAE
    Drivetrain/Braking

If you want to make GOOD money get out of engineering as soon as you can and get into business...construction, real estate, entrepenuer self made business, whatever.

Engineering is a good background, but very tough to make a really good living (250K+) after being in the industry for a while.

But thats just my opinion (and most of the multi millionaires I know).

Working for someone else SUCKS.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

"People aren't bowing down to me? They really oughta learn some humility!"

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh, exactly what I was thinking. People should be lucky they have things like this to concern themselves with, instead of real problems.
    mmmm..... Garlic.

i cant believe my last post was edited...regardless, engineering offers an awesome education, and combined with a business degree and a few years in industry, you have a lethal combo good for 6 figures.
    B. Bell
    UNH Precision Racing
    www.unh.edu/fsae

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast