+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Is "engineering" still respected?

[rant]

You don't have to have an engineering degeree to engineer a part or process; it's also a method of development. If a person's profession requires them to design a product to fulfill certain criteria while folling x and y constraints, isn't that engineering? And I believe I'm the IT (industrial technology, not information technology) major Wes was refering to. I have taken classes that could also be offered in Industrial, Mechanical, Manufacturing, or Chemical Engineering programs.

And yes, my job title will have the word "engineer" in it. After taking 4 years of metalcasting classes I think I deserve to be called a foundry engineer.

[end rant]
    Joel Schmidt

Hm, that' rad. Wish we had metalcasting classes here.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

casting is fun. Do you get to see things like this in you're engineering labs?

That's us pouring steel or iron, I don't remember which
    Joel Schmidt

I'd say engineering is somewhat respected. A lot of people don't realize just how many things in their lives involved a great deal of engineering. While engineers are certainly improtant in society, I don't think that means we should feel so necessary that we inflate our egos too much. After all, doctors, nurses and other health care professionals contribute greatlky to society, but I don't go around thanking them all day.
    Jerry Harding
    University of South Florida - Formula SAE
    Engine/Drivetrain

My problem with the perception of engineering is more the other way around. If you're introduced as an engineer, the first response to come back is usually "Oh, you must be smart" - that girl at a bar problem except everyone does it. People have forgotten that the core of engineering is that you take some idea and make something useful from it. You don't need a degree to do that and I've known several good engineers who learned as much growing up on the farm as they learned in classes.

I think too many people are intimidated by the profession. That "rocket science" qoute is long since cliche'd and used up. It seems like people just can't imagine what an engineer does, so they can't identify with your profession. It sometimes does come off like a respect thing, but I often get a deeper vibe that they just don't know what to say so: it's moving right along...

Now if respect is pay, then no it's not the highest paying job out there. It's sure not shabby though. Engineers with one year of work behind them and low college debts can often afford their first mortgage. That's a priviledge and a benefit that a lot of professions don't afford a person. Remember too that benefits in a corporation are often worth 50% above the value of your salary. A friend told me that his first kid's sonograms and birth cost $15k without any complications. Medical coverage matters. Consider the day you or yours get cancer. A corporate engineering job is not gonna make you instantly rich, but there is a lot to be said for the security and rewards. And if we face reality, a lot of engineers aren't good enough managing cash flow issues to make as much money even with their own business as just taking a good secure job. 9 out of 10 new businesses fail because it isn't easy. Try figuring ot how much revenue you'd need to bring in every week just to match a basic engineering salary. Assume that you can't make more than 30% profit from every dollar that comes in. It's amazing how much it takes.
    Kevin

My question is, "who cares?" Does it really matter? I take satisfaction in the fact that I do my job well and that I make a difference in the final product, which in some cases may improve the lives of many million people per year. If other people respect me for that, cool. If not, why should it bother me as long as I'm content? Their loss, not mine.

And I'd consider a 6 figure income to be a very good pay rate. Not top 1%, but definately enough to live very comfortably and provide for a family (especially if your spouse has a halfway decent job.)
    Clarkson FSAE '03 (sorta)-'06 (quite)
    Aero/FEM/Crush

Forget the respect that an "engineer" deserves. How many of you would be where you are today without a teacher? If you want to take up a cause, why don't you fight for the respect of a teacher? They deserve a lot more credit than they are given.

Imagine dealing with 40 smart ass kids, day in and day out. Kids that think they know more than you could possibly ever know. Do they do it for respect? Do they do it for a title? They do it because they love it.

In the grander scheme of things, does it really matter what other people think of you, or your title? I echo Garlic here in saying that this is a rather petty thing to think about.

Just a sidenote, I remember reading somewhere that even with a degree in Engineering, you technically can't call yourself an Engineer. You have to take the EIT exam, then work under a P.E. for a few years, and then take yet another exam. Correct me if I am wrong.
    - Erick

FSAE ('99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04 '05 pit stop '07)
    FSAE Australasia '00
    FSAE Japan '04

Guys, I'm a * major and let me just say...as a whole no one outside of the sciences respects those within the sciences.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Kunst:
    If you ever noticed the news, they don't announce the engineers who designed the plane that is dropping food into starving nations, they announce the eople, the groups, etc. that are sending the relief. Maybe you are in the wrong business if you feel otherwise.
    Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Reminds me of those that pay to put their names on University buildings. Are they doing something nice? Sure, but they're doing it for the wrong reason if they want credit

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by UTA racer rikki:
    Just a sidenote, I remember reading somewhere that even with a degree in Engineering, you technically can't call yourself an Engineer. You have to take the EIT exam, then work under a P.E. for a few years, and then take yet another exam. Correct me if I am wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is the case in Texas, but it is state by state. In TX one must be licensed to call oneself an engineer. I rather like that idea, even if I am not licensed.

I hate that Microsoft and other companies call network techs "engineers". (CNE or MCSE) It's just marketing BS.

For instance, the IEEE created a certification; "Certified Software Development Professional" or CSDP. It was originally "Certified Software Engineer" but they changed it to keep from having different titles for Texas.

Pride aside, it becomes a real problem when looking for jobs, as one's titles are dilluted by a mass of underqualified people with inflated titles. Likewise, it may be even more problematic when hiring, as people often inflate titles. There is nothing quite like spending a ton of money to interview a candidate only to find the "Engineering design work" on the resume really meant they knew how to set the options in Microsoft Excel or could competently "engineer" that a 5/16 screw took a 5/16 nut.

I guess that is why TX has the law they do.

Soon enough janitors will find that "Sanitation Engineer" is an insulting title and we'll have to call them all "Doctors of Sanitation".

SET RANT = off;

Cheers,
    ~D

Honestly, I echo Erick and others...

If someone is so hung up on a title or what others think of them, they should probably go into another profession. Engineering in industry and working with those who are obviously more experienced and skilled than you are takes HUMILITY. To me, that is the essence of being successful in engineering and business. It's those guys who go to work, but their balls and do what they love that are successful, not the ones worried about what others think or where their next promotion is coming from. So seriously, this is rediculous and probably not something to be worried about with your "title" as an engineer.

Oh yea, and what ever was wrong with being stereotyped as smart or knowledgable? You're the guy/girl those others will be coming to in order to fix their stuff or give them help with their car, etc. I think that is enough respect in and of itself.
    B.J. Stoney
    Bearcat Motorsports Alumni '02-'07
    University of Cincinnati
    benjamin.stoney@gmail.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast