+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is "engineering" still respected?

WARNING: RANT

For those of us who are engineering majors, do you guys feel your profession is respected the way it should be? I am entering my senior year in mechanical engineering, and I have worked damn hard to get this far. A year from now I will be a Mechanical Engineer. However, I feel that the word "engineer" has almost lost meaning. It seems like every one is a "Something Engineer" these days.

There is not a week that goes by that I don't hear about an IT major taking a job as a "Production Design Engineer", "Agricultural Engineer" or a "Manufacturing Engineer". These stories are always followed by the same claim that these tech majors will be making "just as much as an engineer".

I want to hear some opinions on this. Perhaps this is not the case in other parts of the world, but it seems like the label "engineer" is thrown around with no regard to actual engineers.
    University of Wisconsin - Platteville

WARNING: RANT

For those of us who are engineering majors, do you guys feel your profession is respected the way it should be? I am entering my senior year in mechanical engineering, and I have worked damn hard to get this far. A year from now I will be a Mechanical Engineer. However, I feel that the word "engineer" has almost lost meaning. It seems like every one is a "Something Engineer" these days.

There is not a week that goes by that I don't hear about an IT major taking a job as a "Production Design Engineer", "Agricultural Engineer" or a "Manufacturing Engineer". These stories are always followed by the same claim that these tech majors will be making "just as much as an engineer".

I want to hear some opinions on this. Perhaps this is not the case in other parts of the world, but it seems like the label "engineer" is thrown around with no regard to actual engineers.
    University of Wisconsin - Platteville

Do a PHD lol. Then you can call yourself a doctor and piss off the medical proffession!

Here's something to think about. Do you actually think that other people care about how much engineering went into a project besides other engineers? I would say they just want something to do what it does and look good while doing it. I believe that applies across all disciplines. So I would say that no profession is respected the way you think your own profession should be.
    Also, it sounds like you are making engineers out to be better than regular people who are undeserving of such a dignified title.
    Greg Hartman
    Cessna Aircraft
    Mizzou Racing 2003-2006

Looking at the quality of work from some of the graduating ME's this year on their senior design projects etc, there's some people I feel are very bright and will do very well, and there are others who scare me. There are those who busted their ass getting there and will have good jobs, and there are those who just kinda got by.

Manufacturing engineering is challenging stuff, I might add. Ridiculously low percentage of graduating engineers who really have a solid understanding of how stuff is manufactured and the problems incurred. I have much more respect for a machinist or toolmaker of some odd years of experience who is taking a Mfg. Eng. position, than I do some rookie mechanical design engineer just out of an ivy league school.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

I think it's too puffed up anyways.

It could use a good deflation.
    Dalhousie FSAE
    Drivetrain/Braking

people are always going to give themselves names that make them sound more important than they are, one guy in the team last year was called "component intergration manager", i just called him bracket bitch! (he was good tho)

I guess it comes down to what people do not what they are called.

miko

And I realy hope (although doubt) that the irony of the (paraphrased):

"People aren't bowing down to me? They really oughta learn some humility!"

Makes its way through.
    Dalhousie FSAE
    Drivetrain/Braking

The term definately gets thrown around too much. Such as "This website 'engineered' by ..." or studying mechanical engeering "technology" at a local vocational school. So yes, I think engineers don't get near as much respect as they deserve for as much as they progress society, as opposed to just winning lawsuits.

I don't know about other people, but whenever I hear "mechanical engineer" I think "everyone's doing it" and mechanic. So no, I don't give them as much presitge as is due (even though I am one). I used to be an Engineering Physicist, sounds nice, but I learned that it's pretty much a bull shit major. They claim to give an adequate background in Mechanical and Electical Engineering and Physics. All somehow in less credits than a Mechanical Engineering degree.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originaly posted by Greg H: Also, it sounds like you are making engineers out to be better than regular people who are undeserving of such a dignified title. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's because we are and they don't. I AIN'T GOIN TO SCHOOL FO NOTHIN BIOTCH! lol
    -----------------------------
    CFS13 - Drivetrain
    "The pleasure of driving shouldn't be something that's reserved for people with very deep pockets."-Conor (I modified it a little bit)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast