+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula SAE 2005 Competition: Detroit - Updates, Pictures, Stories, and More.

Considering I am not only invovled with F-SAE but also run my own business that does custom fabrication on late model Corvettes/Camaros...
    Isn't there some rule about having ringer drivers? *ahem* pro kart drivers included.
    '01-'06 Cal Poly Pomona

Well, if he's in the ME department, I don't think there's much anyone can say about being a ringer.

Carroll Smith was a pro driver before being a race engineer... it's not that uncommon.
    Alumni, University of Washington
    Structural / Mechanical Engineer, Blue Origin

Originally posted by Marshall Grice:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Considering I am not only invovled with F-SAE but also run my own business that does custom fabrication on late model Corvettes/Camaros...
    Isn't there some rule about having ringer drivers? *ahem* pro kart drivers included. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Word is last year Oxford Brooks had a karting champ, or maybe it was F3000, as well and a Son of a former F1 driver... Too bad they blew up.

Ringers aren't that uncommon I guess.
    Carleton FSAE Alumni
    Petty Enterprises Race Engineer

As long as drivers are students involved with the FSAE project they are not considered ringers. At least that's the way I have always understood the rule. I believe the rule was made to prevent schools from enrolling students for the minimum number of class hours just for the purpose of driving the car.
    Clif Oberle
    Texas A&M FSAE '01 '02

Don't know about F3000, but they're certainly well represented in the British University Karting Championships!

http://www.formulabrookes.co.uk/

Hardly a 'ringer' though if they're an ME undergrad that also does karting.

Actually, whilst googling, have the rules changed or are these claims a load of bo**coks? Drive-by-wire was expressely prohibited I thought?

http://www.brookes.ac.uk/schools/tec...dent/isis.htm!
    --
    Marko

Yeah Brookes have quick drivers, but not from F3000! The rumours are otherwise true - can't remember the name of the F1 driver's son (the man himself only did a handful of F1 races, in the 70s, I think) but he left at the end of last year.

Brookes' main driver, James Gornall, is a former British karting champion (TKM in 2001) and BARC Formula Renault champion (2003). He's also helped Brookes to win the BUKC each of the last 2 years. He's a 'business & management' undergrad. The team's other endurance driver at FSAE '05, Craig Dawson, is a PhD engineering student who works for BAR and is leading the 750MC Hot Hatch championship. Craig won skid pad this year and was team manager for both the FSAE and karting teams.

Are you involved in BUKC, Marko? Were you at the Oxbridge Varsity race last month? I'd really recommend BUKC to all the UK unis as a great way of building up driver skill and having some fun.
    Simon
    Warwick Formula Student

Not a BUKC man I'm afraid - just do road-rallies in the most impractical vehicle I can lay my hands on every now and then!

Ideal for conering at speed:
    http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/mac65/cuac/2.jpg
    Ideal for turning around on backroads when you've gone the wrong way:
    http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/mac65/cuac/mindwarp1.jpg

Been to Whitton Mill on the college vs college days but never uni vs uni. Too expensive for me as a 'just for kicks'/D-team/'beer-boat' event and I'm not good enough to run in an A/B-team.

I'm looking to set up a 2006/7 Cambrige FSAE team and will certainly be nicking our best BUKC guys for it; but we might have to rely on having red-hot engineers rather than red-hot drivers!

OTOH - the rules say "team members must be enrolled as degree seeking undergraduate or graduate students in a college or university." - but don't specify which univerisity. If your institution isn't doing FSAE, the car isn't ready, or you fancy a different car you can always defect to us...
    --
    Marko

The official results are up now.

Does anyone know the endurance breakdown by lap.

I still haven't seen the official results for award winners. This is my list from my notes at the awards banquette.
    More information about the awards is available here.

Continental Teves Best in Class Brake Systems
    1. Univ of Sal Paulo
    2. UIUC
    3. Toronto

Henkel Technologies Structural Foam Award
    Wayne State

IMechE Best Engineering Design Award
    Univ Western Australia

Ricardo Powertrain Award
    1. Univ Western Australia
    2. Waterloo
    3. Toronto

Robert Bosch Corp Engine Management System Award
    1. Cornell
    2. Univ Wisconsin – Madison
    3. Penn State

Visteon Powertrain Cooling System Award
    1. Wisconsin
    2. Drexel
    3. Univ Missouri Rolla

SAE Motorsports Award (for first in acceleration)
    Texas A&M – 4.049 seconds

Society of Plastics Engineers' Composites Division Award
    2. Waterloo
    3. RIT

ArvinMeritor Suspension System Award
    1. U Western Australia
    2. Oxford Brooks
    3. U Michigan Ann Arbor

Altair Engineering's William R. Adam Engineering Award
    2. UC San Diego
    3. Oxford Brooks

Solidworks Fastest Time to Market Skid Pad Award
    1. Oxford Brooks
    2. Univ Western Australia
    3. Texas A&M

Bruel and Kjaer Quiet Car Cup
    Drexel

Polaris Intake Systems Design Award
    Univ Western Australia

Lincoln Electric Welding Award
    Northern Illinois Univ
    Case Western

Goodyear Best Performance Award (Enduarance)
    1. Cornell
    2. Univ Western Australia
    3. Univ Washington

Hoosier Tire Autocross Award
    1. Texas A&M
    2. Cornell
    3. RMIT

William C. Mitchell Rookie Award
    Case Western

Yazaki North America - Presentation Award
    RMIT

Yazaki North America - Cost Award
    Univ Michigan Dearborn

SAE Perseverance Award (Top 5 rookie teams with highest overall points)

Texas Tech
    Portland
    Case Western
    Binghamton
    Sal Paulo

Road & Track Triathlon Award
    1. Texas A&M
    ?. Univ Michigan
    ?. Cornell
    ?. UTA
    ?. Univ Wisconsin

Carroll Smith Mentor's Cup Presented by SCCA
    Make McDermott – Faculty Advisor for Texas A&M

Spirit of Excellence Award
    Top ten finishers

SAE Foundation Cup honoring Neil A. Schilke (presented to first place overall winner)
    Cornell

Dr. Bob Woods Cup (for SCCA Nationals fastest FSAE Driver)
    Erick Kohler
    James Waltman
    VRI at WWU Alumn
    FSAE ˜01 to ˜05
    http://dot.etec.wwu.edu/fsae/

WOW! I just realized our faculty advisor got the Carrol Smith Mentor's Cup.

Congradulation McD!

Our program would be nowhere without that man. Our team is who it is, and does as well as it does, because of the passion and involvement of Dr. McDermott, the head of our ship.

It's good to see him get recognized!
    Mike Shaw
    Texas A&M Formula SAE
    2004 Texas A&M FSAE - Suspension

Agreed that it's good to see Dr. McDermott get the faculty advisor award.

I've talked to him off and on over the years. Most memorable was at SAE Motorsports in Indianapolis late 2002. He razzed us for denting the trophy (which we did en route to the conference, no less...oops.) He then proceeded to show us where A&M banged it up some time in 2000-1 and gave us a couple of tips on fixing it.

One hell of a character and I'm sure one hell of a faculty advisor. Good on him for being recognized as such. All winners of the Carroll Smith cup so far have been more than worthy of the honor.

James, as for your request for per-lap enduro numbers, I have a uber-sketch ballpark on most in the second run. I timed about 30 cars, five at a time, taking samples of laps based on the second hand on my watch. If I can find the pad I used and can make head or tail of the mess of numbers the above method generates, I'll pass them on.

Did have enough to have Ryerson, Washington Wisconsin and UWA in that order within 1s/lap of our time, with Washington and Ryerson potentially beating us by a shade. Pretty close to what transpired - the top five are within 8s total post-cone penalty. Very impressive.

Our first driver was about a 65.5s average, our second about a 63.5.
    ---
    Michael Jones
    Cornell Racing 2001-2005
    PhD Candidate, University of Toronto, Faculty of Information
    http://www.yafle.ca/fsae

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast