+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Picks

Alright guys, I know we'll all be bias, but let's here it. What is everyone's picks for the top five at Michigan this year?

Alright guys, I know we'll all be bias, but let's here it. What is everyone's picks for the top five at Michigan this year?

1. Texas A&M University
    2. UTA
    3. Cornell
    4. Michigan State
    5. UMC

I'd pick all the teams that made it to the Road & Track challenge last year.

We have all drivers from last year, plus a new one that has lots of experience in go-cart racing. Our driver selection process is amazing: we only pick from the best 8 from our school. We have 3 drivers that race with the A&M sports car club autox extensively, and two with actual racing experience (go-cart and sprint car).

we have been testing our car for the past two weeks, and will continue to do so for the next three. we have one of the best, most thought-out designs in the history of A&M FSAE and plan on making it to design finals.

our car is 30 lbs lighter than last year, and much more powerful. it's as fast through the autox, but needs more tuning and will be faster. we are currently making 70 hp on the dyno, and hope to get a few more hp out of the car. in every way, our car is better than last year's, and we finished 5th after the first 3 dynamics events last year.

we have put a major emphasis on reliablilty and weight reduction, and thus far in our tuning process, things have gone well with few problems. we are working on getting all the bugs out before competition.

Gig 'Em
    Mike Shaw
    Texas A&M Formula SAE
    Teams Suspension
    Mike Shaw
    Texas A&M Formula SAE
    2004 Texas A&M FSAE - Suspension

not that i'm biased or anything...
    Mike Shaw
    Texas A&M Formula SAE

UTA second eh? Up there.

Wollongong will have a sorted car, as will Queensland. Watch out for the boyz down under. I also think GT will bring another fast car. MI state is a sure top contender.

But what I've learned is that it all comes down to an honest mistake of forgetting to tighten something, properly heat shielding something etc. that takes you out. In the end, the victors will be the teams that are most organized. So i can't really pick a top 5....but surely, i'd like for UofToronto to be in it!

Cheers

Vinh
    Vinh Pham
    Toronto FSAE Alumni 01-04
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca
    2003 Formula Student Champs!

I think there are a group of 15 to 20 schools that are fast enough for the top 5, it's the ability (and luck) to complete Endurance that makes the big difference.

(UW was the top placing team of those who didn't finish endurance last year )
    Alumni, University of Washington
    Structural / Mechanical Engineer, Blue Origin

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Denny Trimble:
    I think there are a group of 15 to 20 schools that are fast enough for the top 5, it's the ability (and luck) to complete Endurance that makes the big difference.

(UW was the top placing team of those who didn't finish endurance last year ) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

same with A&M. we were in the top 5 autox, acc, and skidpad, but the throttle broke after the first lap.

i just picked 4 random top condenders and put them after us certainly UofW, GT, and wollongon will have good cars that will be in the top.

the teams that win: those who finish their car early (in April), and have time to test, tune, and work the bugs out. we have done this every year, and some years luck is on our side ('99, '00, '01), other's it isn't. sometimes we test too much, and things that will eventually break last through testing for 20+ hours, and break at competition. it's a matter of preparation, testing, and luck.
    Mike Shaw
    Texas A&M Formula SAE

I agree with Denny, too hard to guess a top 5 with the event format (endurance failure means no top 5).

Its also hard to say, with turnover especially, if previous top-5 teams can repeat.

From what I've seen in person and on this forum, I expect UW, UOW, and GT to be contenders. My gut tells me that UTA and Ohio State won't both fail the enduro three years in a row, and that means they'll be strong contenders for the top 5. And when Cornell has an off year they still finish in the top 10.

Should be an interesting competition.
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

Dont under estimate the Australian teams coming over.......there should e at least one in the top 5 if not 2!!

cyas in 2005
    The edge is not the limit it is mearly the beginning!

Deakin University

Yeah, I expect UOW and UWA to do very well.
    Alumni, University of Washington
    Structural / Mechanical Engineer, Blue Origin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast