+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hot wire cutter

Hi,

I'm looking to build a hot wire cutter to cut foam for the bodywork mold. I've found some references on internet, but I'd like to know if you guys have any advice about this subject. I want the wire to be about 2 or 3 feet long.
    Didier Beaudoin
    École Polytechnique de Montréal 2005-2008
    École nationale d'aérotechnique 2004

you just need a battery and a very thin wire thats all they are because the wire is so thin the battery is trying to push so much current through the resistance causes the wire to heat up, you could probably make one for like $5.

we made one off a piece of MDF as a handle(big C shape), a thin guitar string or something along those lines, and an adjustable power supply.
    Jarrod Hammond
    Monash University FSAE

you can also make it so that it just plugs into the wall, although if you do that straight up, it vaporizes the wire instantly.
    SO, what you do is get one of those variable supply boxes used for experiments in electricity class, etc. and find a setting that will heat the wire appropriately.
    Ours uses 3 pieces of hockey stick, (made into an H, with a turnbuckle or sorts at one end, and the hot wire at the other) and an old extension cord. you can find everything you need in the trash, likely.
    Dan Dyck
    Tech. Director
    University of Saskatchewan

You'll be needing a roll of "nichrome" wire. A well stocked hobby shop will carry it for the model airplane guys who cut foam cores for wings. A big-ass rheostat (swipe it from one of the Physics guys -- they always have them kicking around -- the Chemistry guys also use them to power flask heaters) would come in handy too.

http://www.aeroconsystems.com/electronics/nichrome.htm

Found this place on Google -- Also, if your scavenging skills fail you on the rheostat, a heavy duty dimmer switch from Home Depot would probably suffice.

Cheers, Ted

Originally posted by Jarrod:
    we made one off a piece of MDF as a handle(big C shape), a thin guitar string or something along those lines, and an adjustable power supply.
    we have pretty much the same set up...but turnbuckles for tightening the wire and we use a battery charger for the power supply...
    Micah McMahan
    Red Bull Powertrains Performance Design Team Leader
    3MI Racing LLC Owner/Engineer
    Former MSI Defense Solutions - Sr. Design Engineer/Project Manager
    Former Roush Yates Engines - Sr. Design & Analysis Engineer
    ODU FSAE 04 member, 05 controls leader, 06 control/ergo/brakes leader, 07 brakes/MC22 turbo engine/Asst Team Leader

Safety wire will also work instead of the nichromium wire

here's my $0.02,
    not sure about the tensile strength of the wire, but I would think that if you ripped the right toaster apart, that would work for cutting foam.......
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

Originally posted by drivetrainUW-Platt:
    here's my $0.02,
    not sure about the tensile strength of the wire, but I would think that if you ripped the right toaster apart, that would work for cutting foam.......
    Yes, but your mom will be extremely miffed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast