+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hot wire cutter

i would advise against a turnbuckle, because the wire gets alot of slack in it as it heats up (which makes for ugly cuts). use springs to control the wire tension. of course, it might not matter with something only 2-3 feet long.
    - ARC '04 member (now retired ) - Bling Bling Competition winners FSAE-A '04 (and design winners)

We use our welder to feed the hot wire. DC, about 3-5 amps max. It's neat because we have a variable current pedal - you stomp it to heat up fast, then back off to make the cut. And we use a piece of stainless steel filler rod for the wire. Total cost: $0

From a safety point of view, i was told last year that hot wiring polystyriene foam gives off cynide gass, you might want to be careful cutting inside.
    77%

ahhhh, thats why i always feel so sick after cutting...

can anyone confirm this cyanide gas? i do a lot of hot wire cutting, and thats kinda scary...
    - ARC '04 member (now retired ) - Bling Bling Competition winners FSAE-A '04 (and design winners)

I've read that hotwire cutting certain types of polyurethane could create cyanide gas. Polystyrene won't, but as styrene is a benzene based hydrocarbon you can pretty much assume it's vapours to be carcinogenic.

Igor

ah good, i only use polystyrene.

carcinogenic? blah, the burnt skin of a chicken is carcinogenic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2