+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: where to find brake rotors?

As far as custom rotors, we harassed a bunch of local laser-cutters till we found one that would make them for free for us. Now all we do is send them a CAD file and they send us rotors, it's great!

As for floating rotors, we make our own floater nub thingies. It's not terribly hard other than the fact that they need to be tight-tolerance so your rotor doesn't flop around.

As for bikes that come with floating rotors, from what I've seen they're mostly late-model sport bikes...meaning they will almost certainly be bigger than will fit inside a 13" wheel.

The rotors and floaters are relatively easy to design; in fact I imagine that in the time it would take to search for a motorcycle rotor that would work you could probably design one and also find a laser cutter to make them for you.
    Dr. Adam Witthauer
    Iowa State University 2002-2013 alum

Mad Scientist, Gonzo Racewerks Unincorporated, Intl.

I agree with the ATV rotors, although they probably won't be floating. At competition, our fronts just got hot enough during the endurance to burn the coating off the outer edges. We had one of the heavier cars and had no problems with brake performance with tiny calipers and cheap ATV rotors. It's all about sizing everything right.
    Shaun Kapples
    Mechanical Engineer
    Alumni, FSAE at UCF

Waterjet HRS plate worked just great for us. Super cheap.

Just gotta get all that mill scale off first.

exFSAE-

What is HRS plate? I looked it up and asked around, nobody seemed to know what it is.

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">HRS plate </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hot Rolled Steel
    Matt Brown

Aw I wanted to make up an acronym.

Hillbilly-Rated Steel?
    Hungarian Retro Steel?

Given the service life of these things.. pretty much anything works. CRS (Cossack Rampage Steel), HRS, whatever. We could pick up HRS for dirt cheap or free (ask around in your civil dept).

Even with a really aggressive pad like a Polymatrix A, they wore just fine.

But grinding (surface.. blanchard..) or even just sandblasting them prior to use is key!

Anyone know of a good off the shelf floating rotor (fixed center, bolted section, floating outer, pad-rubbing section) that will fit within a 13" rim? Most of the bike rotors that I have seen that fit the rim are from the rear of the bike, and fixed (not floating).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2