+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: FSAE Innovation

EFI? I want to see some Hilborn MFI setups.

a single in fsae?

I'm gonna guess it used Keihin FI...
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Stewart-Haas Racing, Kettering University, or their employees, students, administrators or sponsors.

Aah yes, the early days. Obviously things were pretty primitive way back in 2004, we didn't have anywhere near the level of technology you guys have at your disposal now. For fuel injection we used a horse syringe we picked up at the vet, the driver would listen for when the intake valve opened and then quickly squirt a dose of fuel up the port. With his other hand he would bang a flint rock against the cylinder head - that was for spark. The engine management system was effectively self-learning, because if he got it wrong we would beat him with a stick.

This is the whole reason we changed to a single. Our driver was going mad trying to keep up with the four.

Hope this helps...
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Design it. Build it. Break it.

Don't forget that D-Jet fires the injectors off a contact breaker signal - I would love to see the design judges faces when you tell them how you have to file and set point gap every hour of run time from all the vibration.

L / LH was a big step forward with that breakerless triggering and 4-bit (8-bit?) processors.

Probably be better off using a little side-draft SU at that point, something that in hindsight might not have been a bad idea as an initial run setup to start developing the chassis, since the majority of cars don't have their wiring and tuning really figured out till it gets down to the end of the wire.

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Drew Price:
    Don't forget that D-Jet fires the injectors off a contact breaker signal - I would love to see the design judges faces when you tell them how you have to file and set point gap every hour of run time from all the vibration.

L / LH was a big step forward with that breakerless triggering and 4-bit (8-bit?) processors.

Probably be better off using a little side-draft SU at that point, something that in hindsight might not have been a bad idea as an initial run setup to start developing the chassis, since the majority of cars don't have their wiring and tuning really figured out till it gets down to the end of the wire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The last carby car that ever recall was USQ in 2005. I believe apart from G fuel starvation issues it may have also caught fire.

On second thought I think this car from FSAE-A '09 was carby: yfrog . com /3lmgwj
    ---------------------------
    2006 QUT Motorsport - Manufacturing Manager
    2007 QUT Motorsport - Controversy Raiser
    2008 University of Waterloo Formula Motorsports - Exchange Student / Electrical Team Manager
    2009 The University of Adelaide Motorspo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kirby:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Drew Price:

Probably be better off using a little side-draft SU at that point, something that in hindsight might not have been a bad idea as an initial run setup to start developing the chassis, since the majority of cars don't have their wiring and tuning really figured out till it gets down to the end of the wire. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The last carby car that ever recall was USQ in 2005. I believe apart from G fuel starvation issues it may have also caught fire.

On second thought I think this car from FSAE-A '09 was carby: yfrog . com /3lmgwj </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, we ran carb in Cali '09 and MIS '10, snatching 3rd in fuel economy at each comp. It started a lot easier than the EFI, and just had a problem of leaning out up top, which we attempted to fix at the last minute before MIS by throwing an injector inline. I also recall seeing at least 2-3 other cars at MIS this year running carbed singles.
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Stewart-Haas Racing, Kettering University, or their employees, students, administrators or sponsors.

As I recall we used a DTA computer in '03 and '04. Don't remember which model, but it was pretty archaic.
    Dr. Adam Witthauer
    Iowa State University 2002-2013 alum

Mad Scientist, Gonzo Racewerks Unincorporated, Intl.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10