+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Genesis 80fi ECU options

Hey everyone. My team is looking into options for an ecu for our yamaha genesis 80fi. We planned on using a Power Commander III but none of us have enough tuning experience to adjust the maps ourselves with the time we have left. Does anyone know of any autotune options that would work with a 2007 genesis engine?

Stock ECU.

Or you could always use the piggyback Powder Commander with all of the adjustment tables set to '0'. That's basically a stock tune, and from there adjust whatever seems necessary little by little. Engine temp compensation, base spark map, whatever.
    Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

Boogityland 2015 - Present

+1 For piggyback

Largest change you will have to make is to your fuel map.
    U of M-Dearborn
    Powertrain Guy

what are you planning on doing with the Genesis?
    Regards
    Jon

Jon, I'm underclassmen help on the team Andrew the OP is on. Andrew's post was really vague, so I'll fill in a bunch of details.

We have a Power Commander V on order that should be here Tuesday. The biggest issue we are trying to overcome is that using the manufactured intake the pressure sensors in the runners are throwing codes 14 and 26, which are errors for both pressure sensor hose problems. However, using the stock throttle body we have zero problems and have actually gotten the engine to run smooth and up to 11k rpm with no problems.

The initial thinking is that by using the plenum the pressure differential is acting differently than on the stock throttle body, causing the sensors to not react properly. The engine team captain keeps saying that the pressure drop in the runners should only be 1.5 kPa because "that's what a guy on the internet said" and has no real data to back it up, and that "1.5 kPa" is what is causing the sensors to not work properly. As much as we try to explain to him that the person telling him that doesn't have his intake or restrictor and therefore can't use that data, the engine team captain is sure he's correct. But I digress.

One team member on frame team has stepped up and tried wiring resistors onto the pressure sensors to fool them into allowing the engine to start, and while it got the engine started the engine runs really bad after that, likely because the engine is thinking it's getting more air flow than is really present. We're hoping that by using the PC V we can adjust the pressure sensor range so they work, but we really have no idea what's causing the sensors to not work properly on the new intake.

I hope that gave some more details and made sense, thanks for listening and thanks in advance for any help.

Troy Ament
    Bradley University
    FSAE Underclassman

do you have any photos of where you are mounting them?

I never ran the genesis on the stock kit, but I do remember the twin MAP sensors on the runners. The ECU will use the MAP values to adjust the fuelling, hence why fitting static resistors is making your engine run badly.
    I wouldn't waste the time though. I would cut the original ECU out completely (Well I did infact). A standalone ecu is a small price to pay to remove all of these problems. The Genesis isn't a difficult engine to tune, providing you have a dyno and you aren't doing anything silly with your plenum and exhaust, I doubt you are going to have any troubles at all
    I have never used power commander so I can give you no advice with that I am afraid.

If you send some pictures of your plenum and exhaust, I would be happy to take a look for you.

I would be interested in knowing how you are planning on running the engine. CVT?
    Regards
    Jon

I'll post pictures of the intake and exhaust in a bit when I'm back on campus. The exhaust is mostly stock off the snowmobile up to a 90-degree bend into the muffler, pictures will be more clear on that.

Jon, yes we are running the stock CVT for simplicity. In the past teams have ran Suzuki GSXR and Honda CBR600RR engines with a CVT mated to the engines, but they've been exploding the last few years due to the combination, hence this team went for the Genesis.

We were supposed to do dyno pulls in January, however the load cell on our engine dyno broke in December (was undersized and easily replaced) and the engine team captain dragged his feet, designed the first intake too big, and finally finished the second one having his hand held at every step a couple weeks ago. So combining the time crunch with the flooding of our primary garage and the garage where the engine dyno is on Wednesday night, I don't think we'll get the engine on the dyno. I'll upload some pictures of the flooding as well.

What ECU would be recommended for the Genesis? We're hitting a point where we just need to get the thing going with the plenum so we can drive it around and make sure it won't overheat using two sportbike radiators.

Thanks

Right, well if you have no time to dyno then I guess you will have to go with the stock map, just finding a way to get it running I suppose.

It's nice to hear that you are running the CVT too! I hope you get some success with it. We used DTA ecu's and they are what I recommend to everybody, but you have to have something that works for you. Although I can vouch that DTA ran our Genesis really well, even with the turbo. There were no issues setting up the crank cam sync with the stock sensors and triggers.
    Although, if you don't have the time to tune it, I guess it's a thought for the future.

The genesis does like to run quite hot in the snowmobile I am told, and it seemed to run quite hot for us too, needing a bit more cooling than the CBR we used before, although we were turbocharging and never ran it without the turbo, so I guess I have no N/A information for you.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.
    Regards
    Jon

I've uploaded some pictures.

Intake (Restrictor goes on top of that, with throttle body above the restrictor):

Exhaust (O2 sensor is for the Power Commander Autotune system, not stock):

And slightly off topic, some pictures of the flooding from the other night, second one is of the room the dyno and our steel rack is in:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast