+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: 2005 FSAE-AUS

Originally posted by ScottyB:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by flo:
    I would like to get some information about this caliper.
    http://evilallianceracing.com/ipw-we...AUS05/P2180590

the team name should help for the moment.

thanks

flo
    Flo,

These are calipers that were made in house by one of our thesis students. The team is UTS Motorsports from the University of Technology, Sydney. They are a sigle piston floating caliper.

Cheers,
    Scott </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tahnk you scott
    ---------------------------
    Lions Racing

www.lionsracing.de

Hey Scottie,

Hate to break it to you babe, but i might not make it to next year's comp... I've got a few other things lined up for '06 Those competition hugs would have to wait.

Congrats to UWA, Gong and everyone else who put in the long hours! This year's FSAE-A comp was by far my favourite! Geoff, Wordley, QUT and Auchland - and ofcourse my own wonderful team - thanks for a great time.

Tania

Formula Student '04
    Formula SAE-A '04
    Formula SAE-A '05
    "This is not referred to as disorganization; it carries the name prioritization."

"As an example, when selecting suspension geometry, a number of schools have used compromises that are more suited to cars featuring radial tires and ground effects aerodynamics."

Could you please elaborate on this.
    Michigan Technological University Formula SAE Alumni

im seriously thinking radial tyres are better for novice drivers (now which ones have an appropriate size and compound? hard question)

only the best drivers seem to deal with the sensitive feedback from stiff crossplies (hoosier) , but its a joy to see a great driver take a tight car by the reins and fly

Frank, how did UQ arrive at the wheel alignment/setup you mentioned a few pages back?

in order of priority:

stopwatch (motec beacons are great)
    test on as many surfaces as you can (grip)
    test on different smoothness also (bumpy, flat)
    driver feedback (concentrate on making the car "comfortable and predictable")
    interpreting the tyre (pyro as well as visual)
    sequence photography
    some sock travel data (custom built datalogger)
    feedback from a few different engineers viewing the car.
    comparing different chassis (our development has been incremental since 2003)

many different types of computer analysis:

consider compliance in all analysis
    suspension analyzer
    simulink
    sketches in 3D Cad

And, as you could expect:

Try a few different tyres ($$$)

Not used:

ADL
    M800

That's interesting, because we've followed a similar path and ended up somewhere completely different. We run less than half your toe, tyre pressure, caster and camber, using the same/similar tyres. I guess there are many ways to skin a cat...

run less than half our toe...
    yeah, i'm not so sure that a driver could pick if i ran half this much toe

(i'd see it on high speed traction control onset)

half our tyre pressure
    are you sure? or have i made a mistake? 20PSI HOT (140 KPa)

half our camber
    I really think you should be throwing as much camber at the tyre before it "gets destroyed quickly"

half our castor
    we have a spool, and we need castor in the slow parts of the course

can i ask you nick: how long is your virtual swing axle? ours is app. 800mm front and rear

i believe your older cars had VSA's about 800-900mm but im guessing they're a bit longer on the mono's, is this a chassis design contraint?

We haven't experimented with toe as much as we'd like. What we've got works, but I'm sure there's something there for event-specific stuff.

20psi hot is way high, we're around than half that, depending on alignment, spring rates and grip levels.

Same again on the camber, I'm amazed it doesn't show up on the tyre temp profile. How hot have you measured?

The castor makes sense, our non-kinetic cars have certainly tested with numbers like that. Low warp stiffness sure gets rid of castor jacking in a hurry.

This year's VSAL's are much longer than yours - 3000mm at the front, half that or so at the rear. The monocoque doesn't restrict that. Older cars are a little different, but not much... but nothing UWAM runs as low as 900mm.

I suspect that a hoosier at 1.5deg camber, a heap of camber gain and castor to match will need 20psi in it to give an good temp read. If you run it with less camber, less gain and less castor then perhaps the right hot pressure is much lower...?

Frank,

The lowest VSALs on UWAM cars have been 2000mmm on the front, 1200mmm on the rear. 20psi is certainly the highest running pressure I have ever heard of in FSAE. I am sure you didn't get there without testing ... but it is as much a surprise to me as it is to Nick.

Cheers,

Kev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast