+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 FSAE-AUS

I've started this thread for people to give updates on the 2005 AUS competition.

Best of luck to all!!!

I'm going to kick off this thread with a quick write up on the RMIT car I saw last wednesday at their official launch (by the way I am a unbiased opinion with no history from RMIT).

The new car looks great! The car retains the traditional colours but with a cool sprayed on graphic on the side (similar to a coke can). It is a full monocoque design (with minimal steel roll hoop bracing) housing the WR450 single they are so famous for. The huge plenum volume should see a bit more power and torque and the completely revised drivetrain has shed a lot of weight and it now uses a clutch pack diff that looks quite impressive! It looks as though a lot of work has gone into the aero kit that incorporates radiator side pods and undertray and diffuser.

I think that the 2005 RMIT car is best described as a superior evolution of the 2004 car with a big advance in weight reduction! I look forward to seeing the official number because from what I have heard, it is going to be quite low! I'm fairly sure they will be a strong contender at this years Australasian Comp.

RMIT, post some pictures for everyone to see!

Cheers
    -Ben
    (former) UWA Motorsport

So give us an update Frank!

How is UQ looking?
    When do you get down here?

Monash will bring our fastest car yet by far.
    Have been out testing a fair bit and dealing with all the usual problems... still looking good though.

Saw Swinny at Calder and they looked quick. Specially on the tight stuff. When you going to let the cat out of the bag Colin? Talked to UOA and they were out there Monday, havent seen the car though.

Havent heard much from the 'Gong or UWA, how are the new cars? Had much driving?
    Regards,

Scott Wordley

Scoring in every event for the last 12 comps running!
    http://www.monashmotorsport.com/

Scott,
    Care to comment on the Monash drivetrain? It's confusing from the pictures but very intriguing. Are the wings in storage for now?
    Greg Hartman
    Cessna Aircraft
    Mizzou Racing 2003-2006

Its a double reduction.

The final drive ratios and large sprocket size used by most teams limits the amount of wheel base you can cut out of the rear of the car.

The double reduction allows us to pull the rear axle centre line 100mm closer to the engine for a short wheelbase car without having to push the driver and weight distribution too far forward.

While we were at it we got rid of all the rear chassis altogether by sweeping the wishbones and toe link forward. Rear shocks are mounted to our structural (and low profile) sump.

Radiator now hangs off the back of the car as sidepods dont get any flow due to the front wing.

The new wings are certainly not in storage... its a shame you guys didnt get to see them in action last year. They work alright judging by the pile of broken wheel centres that im staring at.
    Regards,

Scott Wordley

scott, i have been speaking to jarrod about your teams intentions for FS2006, any idea if you lot are going to come over again? was a pleasure to host you last time!

good luck to all the teams competing this weekend!
    Rob.C - UBRacing2006

Will see how this weekend goes first.

Would love to go back but it seems a little unlikely at this stage.
    Regards,

Scott Wordley

Good luck to all concerned!

Cheers,
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Design it. Build it. Break it.

howdy,
    anybody have pictures from FSAE-A ?
    i'm anctious to see the new cars and some different concepts

Jude Berthault
    ETS FSAE
    Steering System Leader
    Brake System R&D

Scruteneering seemed to go quite slowly this year... I dont think many teams managed to finish it today, we were waiting at the practice track when it closed,

For cost event I belive it went the international indian team (sorry guys forgot name) RMIT then us. The rainy weather and rainy forcasts look like it could result in a wet weekend.

-Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast