+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: High School FSAE Team Progress

I kinda meant that high school kids have more drive and motivation if they had FSAE in their school compare to college kids in the same situation (just an opinion, i know most of you dont agree).

One reason being is that they tend to be more of a risk taker than older guys. Im sure they worry as much in personal issues, but i think they probably have less responsibilities (in general).
    RiNaZ

Well thanks for the comments guys but can we get some tech talk going instead of talking about who has more of a drive
    Don't buy it, Build it

The first step in having a successful car, is having a SOLID team. Technical expertise won't save you if you have a disjointed, unaccountable team.

That said, I'd say there's a good chance you'll have cooling issues mounting the radiator there. Not much airflow. We tried it once back in the day.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

all i know is, if my high school had had formula, i'd have even fewer friends than i do now. when there's like 6 people that accomplish 80+% of the work, you don't see many other people very often.

that, and none of my friends from high school liked cars like i did.
    Mike Miles
    Carnegie Mellon SAE/Carnegie Mellon Racing -- Formula SAE 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006

for the record that black car you see in a couple pictures is our first car that we built last year to see if we could do it, the other pics with a half completed frame are for this year, we just got our rads in today and their going in the side pods
    Don't buy it, Build it

To be honest guys, no disrespect, but I do not think that high school students should be allowed to compete. The point of formula SAE is not to learn how to fabricate- there are already a wealth of excellent racing fabricators, and if that is a career choice that someone wants to make, it is fairly easy to find a route to being a race mechanic or fabricator.

The point of FSAE is for the STUDENTS to do the engineering design work to build the best possible race car. And there is little that anyone can do to convince me that a car designed by high school students will be well engineered. The education is simply not there yet. Im not saying that high schoolers can't build a car that will haul ass and beat a lot of colleges- I just doubt the quality of the engineering behind such a car.
    "I couldn't find the sportscar of my dreams, so I built it myself" -Ferdinand Porsche

I don't see what all the animosity is about. I think this is awesome. I wish my high school had something like this. I'm suprized people arent fighting over recruiting these kids.
    Jason
    CalPoly SLO

Ku
    the point of this project is not to learn how to fabricate, the students on this team have been selected for their technical skills, we already know how to build it. the point of this project is to give us a hands on approach to learning how to engineer a race car, yes we do not have the same education most of you do and we do have some help from our teachers but they do not engineer parts for us they teach us what we need to know to work the parts out ourselves.

Shulberg
    It's funny you say that because every time we talk to a university team they always pitch us something to try to get us to go to that university.
    Don't buy it, Build it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KU_Racing:
    The point of formula SAE is not to learn how to fabricate... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd argue that getting the car made is at least half of the challenge of Formula SAE. Besides, that's where the best out-of-the-classroom lessons of FSAE are learned.

I'm also wary of taking an elitist stance about being engineering students; we all know that a group of smart high school kids with time to go through engineering books and a good teacher could do a good portion of the engineering that FSAE teams do on their cars.
    Ben Kolp
    Cornell Racing '98 - '01

One thing i see in this competition is that the engineering background helps in understanding the more complexed aspects and more of the math involved in the equations, but a lot of race engineering is not taught in the class room, and teams learn about it through books and seminars by Carroll smith or Milliken etc. so by going this route and learning the more complicated aspects of it as we go by talking to universities or former race engineers we can end up doing a lot of the work.

(I know some of you will think i'm just making stuff up, because i'm in high school what do i know about engineering. My father is an engineer i've worked with him and hes been tring to teach me since i was young. so i do know a little on the subject.)
    Don't buy it, Build it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast