+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: High School FSAE Team Progress

Hey guys, thought i'd put a link up to pictures of the Cardinal Carter High School Formula SAE team pictures. last year around this time we posted pictures of our first attempt and now we are working on a car that meets all FSAE rules.

http://www.carterstudentengineers.com/shop_updates.htm
    Don't buy it, Build it

Hey guys, thought i'd put a link up to pictures of the Cardinal Carter High School Formula SAE team pictures. last year around this time we posted pictures of our first attempt and now we are working on a car that meets all FSAE rules.

http://www.carterstudentengineers.com/shop_updates.htm
    Don't buy it, Build it

looking good and very organized...continue to keep us updated
    Micah McMahan
    Red Bull Powertrains Performance Design Team Leader
    3MI Racing LLC Owner/Engineer
    Former MSI Defense Solutions - Sr. Design Engineer/Project Manager
    Former Roush Yates Engines - Sr. Design & Analysis Engineer
    ODU FSAE 04 member, 05 controls leader, 06 control/ergo/brakes leader, 07 brakes/MC22 turbo engine/Asst Team Leader

They may make some of the college teams look bad...OH SNAP! Really, if you think about the shops available in most high schools, they should have the manufacturing capabilities to kill a college squad. For example:
    http://www.huhs.org/departments/technology/

Now, I know what you are saying, but the pics are not all up to date. I went on a visit and they have a 32 bit turret CNC, a laser, cnc plasma, 8 cnc lathes with generous capacities, a wire EDM, a CAMM, 28 welding stations..... the list goes on. It is a rediculous high school as far as equipment goes.

Good luck to those Cardinals
    Bill

Thanks Bill we do have a fairly good shop and thanks to some of our sponcers it keeps getting better. and anything we can't do we have connections for, so hopefully we'll be seeing you guys at competition next year with a car, we haven't been allowed in this year.
    Don't buy it, Build it

If we go in next year and get beat by a high school team (no offense HS folk, I think it's awesome that you're building a car and I wish my school had that) I'll be upset
    Dalhousie FSAE
    Drivetrain/Braking

On the contrary, i think HS folks should beat at least most rookie teams.

One main reason is because, high school folks tend to be in a group of old friends where they've been hanging out since 8 or 9. So they have that special bond of knowing each other's strong points and weaknesses.

Another reason, they probably have more money than we do!!! .

And im hoping they dont have to deal with university's beauracracy as high school teachers tend to be more supportive.

And 16-18 year old kids tend to have more drive, motivation and ambition than college kids.

And not learning much of engineering classes could be an advantage, they dont overcomplicated stuff.

Of course, all of the above is meant as a joke
    RiNaZ

Well we are certainly hoping to show at least a few universities a thing or two, and not being allowed to enter this year is really gonna help us cause now we have time to perfect the designs that we weren't gonna be able to get done.
    Don't buy it, Build it

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RiNaZ:

And 16-18 year old kids tend to have more drive, motivation and ambition than college kids.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha, speak for yourself here. when i was in high school, i was more concerned with ultima online, warcraft 2, mountain bike racing and the next snowboarding day. i didn't do my homework, fell asleep in class, and generally goofed off always.

now, i spend more time in the shop then i do at my full time job. and somewhere between the two i fit classes and sleep comes last on the priority list. i think it is safe to say, anyone on a FSAE team is more motivated then they would be in high school without a formula team (because we all know it takes insane amount of time to get it done.... nothing but motivation will finish a car)
    UTA Racing
    Team Captain '06

I don't want to take away from those high school kids it looks like they got there stuff going in the right direction (better than us) but, in high school you don't have to worry about as many personal issues, i.e. feeding yourself, paying bills, passing college classes etc. If we had the time that we had in high school then building a car wouldn't be that big of a deal. I hope I don't offend anyone but most HS kids don't have to worry about a lot of the stuff we do.

Chip
    Chip Cieutat
    Asst. Team Leader
    Chargermotorsports.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast