+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula SAE Australasia 2011 Competition: - Updates, Pictures, Stories, and More

Unless I'm doing something wrong, it seems like for 2.6L to give you 68 points you need Vmin to be 0L. The formula I'm using is
    125 * (Vmax - Vyour)/(Vmax - Vmin)

If Vmin was 1L UWA should've scored 82 points for fuel
    Malcolm Graham
    University of Auckland '06-'09
    www.fsae.co.nz

Hi all,

I've noted some minor anomalies in the pointscoring myself, and will be checking this out over the coming days. I'll keep you all posted as to any updates.

Cheers
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Design it. Build it. Break it.

Cheers Geoff. It looks like the Vmin for fuel economy has been scored incorrectly, as rule D8.23b states:
    "Vmin will be the smallest volume of fuel used by any team in either heat; provided that team's corrected time from that heat does not exceed Tmax"

So the Indian team's fuel shouldn't have counted, UWA's 2.6L should've been Vmin and they should've received 125 points for fuel for that heat, possibly giving them a higher combined enduro + fuel score
    Malcolm Graham
    www.fsae.co.nz

We actually had around 18 (more?) teams finishing endurance too. It seems the 50 completion points for endurance weren't counted either...

I'll update you all as soon as I can.

Endurance was epic. It took ages. Even the cars that failed usually had completed most of the laps. And there were wet weather tyre changes in there too. Cars on track solidly from 9:15am until I think it was 5:30 or thereabouts, with a 15 minute reprieve at lunch. Phew...
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Design it. Build it. Break it.

Wow, that's an amazing completion percentage for endurance! I guess many teams will be waiting with baited breath for some confirmed scores now (looks like the top 3 are all safe though, at least no trophies will have to be returned...)
    Malcolm Graham
    www.fsae.co.nz

Let's look at some of UWA's results;

Acceleration = 50/50, placed 1st,
    Skid-Pad = 55/75, 2nd,
    AutoCross = 100/100, 1st,
    Endurance = 298/300, (very close) 2nd,
    Fuel Economy = 68.4/125?, 1st,
    Combined EnduroFE = 356.8/425?, 1st,

So, it seems this is a fast and efficient car...

Design = 99/200, 16th!!!

Judges, please explain!

Z

can anyone confirm what cutoff was applied in endurance event? The 2011FSAERules state cutoff is 1.45. Details of how endurance score is calculated appear to be missing in FSAE_A addendum and FSAE_A_2011-Event-Handbook. Some of my students have heard that 1.33 may have been used.
    -------------------------
    Faculty Advisor
    UTS Motorsports

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Z:
    Let's look at some of UWA's results;

I heard that they didn't build a new chassis this year instead carried it over from last years incomplete car.

Z,

UWA brought a second year car with a young team. Given that they cop a 50 point penalty for design for a second year car they actually finished very high in design for an inexperienced team. Without the penalty they probably would have made design finals.

The endurance and autocross scores are also helped significantly by the most experienced driver in FSAE. Pete has won more autocrosses than probably any other driver. Even with Pete the UWA car had slower lap times than Monash. It was a lack of hit cones that meant the difference in both of the events.

Kev

Apoloigies for the 1.33 factor for endurance.

Geoff and I probably dropped that on the commentary by mistake. The scores do look like the 1.45 was used from rough approximations of the lap times I was seeing.

We did try to put the disclaimer in that most of what we said was not only uninteresting but also inaccurate.

Kev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast