+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: Formula SAE Australasia 2011 Competition: - Updates, Pictures, Stories, and More

In defence of the SAE-A guys, for a new bunch of guys I think it is being handled well, the results were inconsistent on the first release and they are holding off on releasing revised results until they are 100% on them. The guys who ran the comp did such a great job, the competition ran smoothly, you can't expect a new and inexperience team to not make some mistakes, I have spoken to a few people involved and it IS still being worked on. My understanding is that no trophies need to be re-awarded.
    ex-UWA Motorsport

General team member 2013-15, Vehicle Dynamics Team Lead 2012
    Project Manager 2011, Powertrain minion 2009/10

Greetings all,

Thanks Nick for the words of support. You have pretty well nailed it, there were a lot of new players for 2011 and it has taken some time to find the errors (read, throwing out the old spreadsheet and building a new one from scratch), and secondly working through the layers of review (with volunteers who have not been all available at once since the event).

Having said that, we are embarrassed this has happened and are comprehensively reviewing our operational procedures so this does not happen again.

The new amended results are now up, and in response to requests you will find they are a lot more comprehensive than previous. We trust you will use this information wisely to assist your design process.

Thank you all for your patience. And to those with advice to offer, we cordially invite you to volunteer for the 2012 event, where you may apply your energies directly into making a better event for all concerned.

Kind regards,
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Design it. Build it. Break it.

Geoff,

It is a credit to the SAE that despite making some big mistakes that we got some correctly updated scores. Frankly it was the only let down of a very good competition.

My big concern is what rules we are building to this year? Are we to build to the scoring formulas in the US rules, or is there an ammendment to screw things up again? I would suggest that where we significantly deviate from the rules, such as with a new scoring breakdown, that we need to have the ammendment at the start of the year (or earlier).

I cannot recall any definite statement as to whether the ammended scorings would continue or we would return to a more sensible solution of following established international rules that are already published.

Kev

Thanks Kev.

There will be a meeting next week where we will be addressing the concerns you have raised below regarding rules amendments. I doubt there will be anything major, and we will ensure any such amendments will be communicated straight away.

Specifically in regard to scoring, I understand that the event scoring breakdown will be the same as last year.

Cheers,
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Geoff - it's excellent to see some positive change already That scoring breakdown is a huge step up from previous years (most of my historic points breakdowns are in the form of photos of the sheets posted at the admin tent at comp!). It's great to finally see a good level of transparency. If it could be pushed a little further, is it possible in future to see the breakdown for the cost event too?

And congratulations on the new position, I look forward to seeing what you can achieve at SAE-A.
    Malcolm Graham
    University of Auckland '06-'09
    www.fsae.co.nz

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for that, we'll see what we can do. Personally I would have loved to give cost breakdown as well, but I didn't have access to it.

I reckon we can achieve a lot, given the quality of alumni and supporters we have here in Oz. We'll be putting out a call soon for people interested in helping out for FSAE-A this year - whether it be before or at comp, here in Melbourne or otherwise (we live in the digital age, we can do a lot of stuff over the net). I'll start a new thread on that front soon.

Cheers,
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Hi,
    those of you wondering: We are aware of the changed results and will change them in the World Ranking List as well.

An idea for improvement:
    The current link for the webpage with the results is:
    http://www.saea.com.au/formula-sae-a/2008-overview/

This seems odd.
    Regards,

Tobias

Formula Student Germany
    FSE Rules & Organisation
    http://twitter.com/TobiasMic
    http://TobiasMic.Blogspot.com

Not many people know the difference between resolution and accuracy.

YAY! REsults in Excel format. Whoopee! I haven't opened it yet. Will edit with after I do...

So, what did we (Melbourne) come in Fuel Economy? I'm loving the data, but confused about how the Fuel awards are scored...
    Rex Chan
    MUR Motorsports (The University of Melbourne)
    2009 - 2012: Engine team and MoTeC Data acquisition+wiring+sensors
    2013 - 2014: Engine team alumni and FSAE-A/FStotal fb page admin/contributer

r.chan|||murmotorsports.com
    rexnathanchan|||gmail.com

Great to have these detailed results. Thanks to Geoff and other event staff for getting this done.

....even though it now puts UNSW .01 points ahead of us

My team has told me that it is not well known that Rex Chan has a fan site. For those that need to know what Rex Likes please go to the following site:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/...this/327108707319615

Undoubtedly some important reading before this years competition.

Kev

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14