+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Most horsepower per dollar!!!

I'M BRINGIN' IT BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!

Ok, so stumbling upon this thread, and that site again, I think it's gotten worse. I truly believe that these people think they know what they are talking about, and I have no doubt that they are brain washing people to believe the same thing. Here's the specific page that made me take action: http://www.impulsengine.com/performa...rsepower.shtml As you can see, apparently kW is no longer a valid measure of power for engines, and torque can be lbf/ft or kg/m, but definately not N*m.

So, instead of getting pissed off and sending them a message calling them stupid in ways that would make your mother cry, I decided to mess with 'em a little bit.

The following is exactly what I sent to them through their contact page, and I really hope I either get them to pick up a book and see how wrong they are, and/or send me back some sort of reply. The only thing I forgot to add was something to the effect of "I'll be sure to tell all my friends about this entertaining site," so you guys, to keep this going, and them wondering if they are right after all, need to be like "Oh, my friend just told me about this site, and man is it funny, blah, blah, blah..." So here goes:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Wow, this is a very funny site, you guys did a great job on this. It's similar to kalecoauto.com, if you've ever seen that. I wonder though, this site does take it to the next level of realism, do you get a lot of people making serious inquiries about your "products?" As an engineering student, I found the humor in your "Cars make horsepower, not light bulb power" page, I mean, trying to tell people that kW isn't a valid measurment of power, and that torque is equal to mass divided by distance, HILARIOUS! Everyone with a high school education knows that torque = force * distance (T=N*m)! Oh, and the part about the vacuum pressure! Hahaha! Telling people that you can get more than 14.7psi of vacuum at sea level, and that you could create -8 absolute pressure in the engine after you just told them you can't go below zero, PRICELESS! And the wording, that's the funniest part, I mean it sounds like someone who knows nothing about engineering or english created this site! You guys should start up a novelty shop, because if you can make information this funny, I bet you'd sell a lot of piston return springs!

Later! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    -----------------------------
    CFS13 - Drivetrain
    "The pleasure of driving shouldn't be something that's reserved for people with very deep pockets."-Conor (I modified it a little bit)

Hahaha

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">complex Newton-metre (Nm) system, which is used to measure electricity, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    -Charlie Ping

Auburn FSAE Alum 00-04

this is good:

"We support the metric system because it's better than the imperial system. However, we use both imperial and metric measurements because NOT everything in the metric system is practical, applied sensibly or user friendly."
    Andrew

I was trying to remember where I'd heard of 'impulse engine' before, so I did a Google search and it all came back to me:

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Impulse_engine

How soon do you think it will be until they sell a warp drive for my Dodge Dart?
    Matt Brown

Well, I think it's about time I post the follow up. I got this almost a week ago, but I figured I'd wait a little to let things cool down, and let them rationalize before they went google searching again to find something else. As you'll see, they caught on and got kinda pissed. I reference a forum in my respone to theirs (I assumed they found this one) but I don't believe that they did, because when you search my name a totally different, non related forum pops up, and I think they got their info from there. Either way, if they find/found this forum, I don't care, and it doesn't look like they're trying to flame anyone on here, so I don't think we have to worry about that.

The first part is their response to the message I previously posted. After that is my response to theirs. I haven't had a reply since, and honestly I think that's a good sign. I hope they did realize their faults and are taking action to correct them. Take it for what it is, and tell me what you think on how I handled the whole situation. Sometimes I tend to speak my mind even if I don't necessarily have good things to say. Constructive criticism is welcome. Oh, and I think it goes without saying that you probably shouldn't contact them like I told you to

I know it's long, but it's definately not boring.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> We're thrilled it made you happy. Now where can we send you the straitjacket?

You've never seen the NPS technology working on an engine yet you attack us because it works differently to conventional principles. Are you a fruitcake psychic or magician?

Intelligent people that don't agree with a new concept are constructively objective or seek proof to determine it works before reaching any conclusion. Whereas stupid or disturbed people knock a new concept that challenges their way of thinking because they don't have the mental capacity to comprehend it.

It appears UWP's pledge to, [quote] Enable each student to become broader in perspective, more literate, intellectually more astute, ethically more sensitive and to participate wisely in society as a competent professional and knowledgeable citizen [unquote] has failed with you but you have the power to fix yourself.

Focuss your energy on overcoming your bigotry and becoming a better person instead of attacking people or technology you don't understand.

If you continue to send us this dribble we'll take the matter further. Chancellor David Markee and your parents would be interested to know about your disturbing behaviour and how you're wasting that fine education at UWP.

The Team at
    Impulse Engine Technology P/L
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Howdy,

Everything I say from here on out will be serious so that you can be assured that I mean every word that I say. I know it's long, but it will behoove you to read it through.

I'm glad I got a response, really.
    First, I would like to say that I'm suprised how much research you put into that email. I'm guessing you were so aggrivated that you wanted to find out who this "absolutepressure" guy was, and found the forum. I'm fully aware that anything I put on the internet can be seen by anyone in the world, so I'm not at all suprised that you found out who I was and where I go to school, but I am suprised that you wasted all that time to research the school's pledge instead of seeing if anything I said had any backing. Let me assure you, it does.

Second, don't be so quick to assume that I'm wasting my education, or that people would care that I called you out on falsified information, especially my parents. Contradictory to what the internet may lead you to believe, I'm no longer in a leadership position (due to personal time conflicts), so you can't go to the Chancellor claiming that someone representing the school is doing an ill job of it, I'm just a regular student now. And even if you did an additional several hours of research, made several expensive phone calls, and blew away a good chunk of your day and found out what my real name is, I have a very common last name, so looking up my parents phone number would take exponentially longer. Let's say you do all of that and taddle on me, I'm a young adult, my parent's don't scold me anymore. So you see, your threats have fallen on deaf ears.
    -Just as an aside, if you do infact make an attempt to contact any of my family or friends, I will consider that stalking, and not only you, but the company you represent will see what will happen if I "take the matter further." There, now the threat count is one me, two you. I have one more left (an eye for an eye sort of thing, and it'll work well with the contents of this email).

Third, the bigot issue. I'm assuming that either you only read on the forum what you wanted to read, or only read part of it. If you read all of it, you'd see that there is a point where I say "I think that their product would work very well in a controlled environment, and in theory (except for the valve timing issue I addressed earlier). However, I believe that there are too many uncontrollable variables in the environment for this to be a reliable (or reliably provide a lot of power) system. For example; on Monday, it was 76 degrees. On Wednesday, it was 28 degrees. You would have needed to fush out the system and put antifreeze in there. But, then the temperature warmed up again, so the system would be at less than optimum. Even just differences between night and day would have a large affect in some areas." Is that the intelligent contemplative remark that you over looked?

Along those same lines, I believe it's a little hypocritical of you to call me a bigot when you make comments such as "Kilowattpower the new shock treatment for drivers that can't get it up with Horsepower." Or "Who needs Horsepower our cars run on Light-bulb-power."

Fourth and finally, the reason I sent the message.
    I wanted it to seem like someone truly misinterpreted the intent of your site due to the large amount of falsified information and lack of calculated or experimental backing. Ok, so I failed in that respect and you saw through it, oh well. However, you still should've got a key issue addressed in my message. YOU ARE OUTRIGHT WRONG. Don't be mad at me because you misunderstand the material, that would be like me getting upset at a professor because I didn't get all of the homework right because I misunderstood a concept. You need to consult a qualified engineer, physicist, or general scientist to go through your website and correct all of the false information. Why? Kilowatts IS a valid (and preferred) measurement of ANY power, from steam turbines to funny cars to scooters to light bulbs, anything that does work over a specified amount of time. Also, Torque = Force * Distance = kg*m (assuming gravity is present) = lbf*ft (sometimes notated as lbf-ft) = N*m. Ther is no division in the general torque equation. Still don't belive me? Go to Ferrari's website, click cars, today, 8 cyl, F430, tech specs, scroll down, and boom, exactly congruent with what I just said, and what I said in my previous message. There's no doubing that Ferrari know's what they're talking about. The thing about vaccum pressure is true to. If you talk about absolute pressure (saying atmospheric is 14.7psi implies absolute, not gauge pressure) you cannot go lower than 0 and get -8. Just like when you talk about absolute temperature, there is no -Kelvin or -Rankin.
    The reason I am so adamant about this is because you are teaching people who don't know any better completely incorrect information. You'd be upset with your children's kindergarten teacher if she was teaching them the alphabet in the wrong order, wouldn't you? Or that 3+2=32?

I challenge you to correct the information on your site, provide mathematical backing behind the theories, and post dyno charts of before and after. If you do not do so within two months, I may take the matter further. I'm sure that the OCBA of South Australia would be interested in hearing that a company is in violation of their Misleading Advertising law which states "Misleading advertising not only is against the law but will antagonise potential customers. The simplest way to avoid this situation is to tell the truth about the products you are advertising." And goes on to say "Do not make any misleading statements." Clear as crystal. There, that's two for two.

You've ignored my initial intentions once, so please, if you are not going to address the issues of falsified information, do not respond, because I don't want to read about something else that was dug up to change the topic again. Also, do not attempt to reply with another threat, this time accusing me of libel, because if it's true, it's not libel, and it's true that you are advertising false information.

I never leave a question unanswered, so incase you're still wondering, given the choice between a fruitcake, psychic, and a magician, I'd have to choose the magician, and the straight jacket would be much appreciated so I can practice my act. Just send it to the Platteville Post Office, Attn: absolutepressure.

Thanks for reading
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    -----------------------------
    CFS13 - Drivetrain
    "The pleasure of driving shouldn't be something that's reserved for people with very deep pockets."-Conor (I modified it a little bit)

Very nice. Your reply to them was the kind a lot of people want to come up with and send, but never actually do. It will be interesting to see if they actually change their website, and if so, what they new claims will be. Keep us updated. I did start a nice email conversation with them, and heres a snippet of what I got back

ME:
    Also, can someone give a decent explanation as to how kW is
    really different than HP? Someone who has maybe taken high school
    physics?

Impulse:
    The difference between hp and kw is that hp is actually mechanical power whereas kw is electrical power converted to measure mechanical power. For example, 1 horsepower (hp) is a unit of mechanical power equal to the work required to lift 33,000 lbs (14,970 kg) 1ft (30.5cm) in 1 minute by 1 horse. Whereas 1 kilowatt (kw) is a unit of electrical power equal to 1000 watts of electricity or 100 x 10 watt light bulbs which is equal to the mechanical power of 1.34 horsepower. For more info see http://www.impulsengine.com/performa...rsepower.shtml

ME AGAIN:
    You disagree with your own statement in saying "Whereas 1 kilowatt
    (kw) is a unit of electrical power equal to 1000 watts of electricity
    or 100 x 10 watt light bulbs which is EQUAL to the mechanical power of
    1.34 horsepower." It is exactly like you say, EQUAL. Energy is
    energy, no matter what form it takes, be it electrical, mechanical,
    thermal, etc. You can hook up your favorite, healthy horse to a
    generator and power 100 10W light bulbs (or go crazy and power 10 100W
    bulbs as long as that conversion still remains valid), a 1 HP electric
    motor, or get him walking at a good steady 60Hz or do some gearing
    and hook him up to the power grid. Either way, the horse is putting
    out the same amount of effort, whether it be to light 10 100 W bulbs,
    100 10W bulbs, an electric motor, or putting electricity on the power
    grid for someone across the continent to light their light bulbs.
    The horse doesn't know the difference nor does he care, because power
    is power, no matter the form it takes.

Not anywhere close to absolutepressure's response, but it will be interesting to see their reply.

I'm really thinking about sending a message about the power argument...weight for the reply to horse being mechanical power and then argue that its not mechanical but organic power.
    Figure that could be fun and idiotic.
    Micah McMahan
    Red Bull Powertrains Performance Design Team Leader
    3MI Racing LLC Owner/Engineer
    Former MSI Defense Solutions - Sr. Design Engineer/Project Manager
    Former Roush Yates Engines - Sr. Design & Analysis Engineer
    ODU FSAE 04 member, 05 controls leader, 06 control/ergo/brakes leader, 07 brakes/MC22 turbo engine/Asst Team Leader

I think you guys are confusing the accuracy of engineering claims with the marketability of bullshit. People don't want to just buy horsepower. Consumers just want to feel like they own something neato. So you sell them an intake that looks like a toaster oven from the future and everyone is happy.

Remember the Tornado? And how many times have you seen an aftermarket car part advertised with a graph labeled "performance" or "better". I don't want to be the cynic but I bet you could support an entire performance company on the placebo effect. This guy has too much BS math and not enough vague language. His lies don't have qualifiers like "up to". Other than that, there's not much difference between this guy and a lot of the aftermarket car products out there.
    Matt Brown

Have you guys checked out the warranty page on his website. Warranty. I cant remember seeing such a detailed "your warranty does not cover" section.
    Have to say he has covered his ass.
    Laurence Matthews
    University of Manchester Formula Student

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4