+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: beam element FEA

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Captain Redbeard:
    Hey Adrial, I can't tell if people are giving you advice about Pro/MECH or ANSYS. To answer your question about the "vector in WCS" problem, I have always just entered whatever did not throw me an error. I have never had the problem you are having so I'm not sure what to tell you. I can tell you that I have always defined datum curves between the points to represent the frame tubes. I then define the types of tubes we use (one element for 1 x .095, one for 1 x .049, etc.) and select all the datum curves that are built from that element. I would suggest doing this and seeing if it solves the problem. I imagine that Pro/MECH might not like defining everything from points as there are no actual connections defined in the model. Hopefully that will work for you.

-Redbeard </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bingo, defined datum curve between the points and assigned beam properties to the curves and it works like a charm. Now just have to bring the rest of the suspension in and we will be good to go.
    Rutgers Formula Racing 04,05, 06

Lightbulb Insufficiently Constrained Model ANSYS APDL

I have done exactly what you have stated above.I plotted all the points from the chassis in ANSYS 15.0 (manually) and applied a circular beam element as the
    frame members are expected to be in Torsion and bending.

I had initially constrained all the 8 in-board pickup points and applied loads on the front pickup points and i got the following error" There is at least 1 small equation
    solver pivot term (e.g., at the UX degree of freedom of node 1225). Please check for an insufficiently constrained model."

I randomly constrained more points to resolve the issue but my attempts were futile.I am successfully able to simulate simple truss configurations.

What could be the issue(s) here?

Try running a modal analysis with no boundary conditions. There should be 6 free body modes with really low modal frequencies. Other low-frequency modes should show mechanisms.

Also make sure your material properties make sense, orders of magnitude off could be a problem.
    Penn Electric Racing

Hey Adrial,
    Try using Ansys workbench. Start with defining node points of the chassis and then join the hard point using the lines. U can insert points manually or use a notepad format in ansys workbench design modeler. Give cross section to each line.
    Make sure u create a single part after all this in design modeler. Other wise it will show illconstrained error. This method is accurate, fast and easy. results are very good with this method.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3