+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Upright Weights

I've been running some studies on upright designs using the topology optimization capabilities of Optistruct and was hoping to gain a few benchmarking numbers from other teams on their upright weight. I know this thread has been run before, and yes I know how to use the search option, but cars get lighter every year so I was hoping to obtain some updated numbers. Any comments on material, manufacturing, and maximum displacement under full load from FEA analyses would also be helpful if anyone is willing to share.
    Conor Riordan
    Lincoln Design Judge 2013
    Michigan Design Judge 2012, 2014
    Notre Dame 2009
    WMU Team Captain 2008

I've been running some studies on upright designs using the topology optimization capabilities of Optistruct and was hoping to gain a few benchmarking numbers from other teams on their upright weight. I know this thread has been run before, and yes I know how to use the search option, but cars get lighter every year so I was hoping to obtain some updated numbers. Any comments on material, manufacturing, and maximum displacement under full load from FEA analyses would also be helpful if anyone is willing to share.
    Conor Riordan
    Notre Dame 2009
    WMU Team Captain 2008

CNC Aluminum, front: 85mm OD bearing, 1.33 lb, rear: 100MM OD bearing, 1.21 lb
    "Gute Fahrer haben die Fliegenreste auf den Seitenscheiben."
    --Walter Röhrl

Thanks for sharing flavorPacket. It sure would be nice to hear from some others...
    Conor Riordan
    Notre Dame 2009
    WMU Team Captain 2008

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Conor:
    Thanks for sharing flavorPacket. It sure would be nice to hear from some others... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you should share your results?

Ours are CNC Aluminium, 730g, was initially hoping to get down to 600g with some more work, thou not really sure if the time spent will be worth it, probably a saving of less then 1-2% of the total unsprung weight, if anything probably look at optimising for stiffness rather then weight. But bigger fish to fry at the moment, so any optimisation is on the backburner for now.

Benn,

At the moment, I've been able to achieve weights of ~1.5 lbs per upright using a model for CNC'd 7075. I'm asking for other teams' weights so I can include some benchmarking figures in the paper I'm working on. Thanks for the input, I'm very appreciative.
    Conor Riordan
    Notre Dame 2009
    WMU Team Captain 2008

CNC 7075 about 800 grams for us

best regards
    Paul
    Suspension group leader
    Tasia 09 racing team

I think it would be interesting to see stiffness numbers in combination with weights. Examples:

- camber/toe change per lateral g

- toe change per longitudinal g

(Perhaps with infinite stiff wheels/bearings/control arms?)
    KTH Racing '03-'08
    Dartmouth Formula Racing '07

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HenningO:
    I think it would be interesting to see stiffness numbers in combination with weights. Examples:

- camber/toe change per lateral g

- toe change per longitudinal g

(Perhaps with infinite stiff wheels/bearings/control arms?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1 to this. Definitely include the bearings for stiffness... since sizing those does impact weight quite a bit.

Who cares what the weight is by itself. The stiffness is really critical for these parts.

Folks can do the handwavy "oh its unsprung mass!" thing... but it is VERY difficult to accurately quantify the effect of mass-induced load variation on grip, particularly for these cars with such light loads and low speeds.

Grip and handling change from toe- and camber-deflection are much easier to quantify. I've designed some light weight uprights with light weight (read: undersized) bearings. If I had to do it again I'd gladly add 1/4 lb or more per corner to stiffen things up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by exFSAE:
    +1 to this. Definitely include the bearings for stiffness... since sizing those does impact weight quite a bit.
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Of course, I guess I was picturing FEA results - and to get accurate results for bearings would be quite tricky.

Bearings are not only critical for weight but for stiffness as well...
    KTH Racing '03-'08
    Dartmouth Formula Racing '07

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast