+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Texas Autocross Weekend 2012 at UTA

UTA will be hosting the 12th annual "Texas Autocross Weekend" on the weekend of July 14 and 15, 2012. The original intent was for Texas and Oklahoma schools to get together, but it has grown to be a national event with schools from Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, Ohio, Canada, Alabama, South Dakota, Florida, Michigan, etc. joining us for a weekend of pure FSAE racing. This is a time to observe cars in a more relaxed setting and to see how you stack up against some of the best FSAE cars in the country. Some schools swap rides to see how the other guy’s car handles. http://fsae.uta.edu/TXAutocross.html

The venue is an open house Friday afternoon at the UTA shop to view our fleet of 20 cars and to do any last minute repairs. Friday night we will have a social at the school in our shops, offices, and lobby.

Saturday will be a competition at UTA's big lot with a FSAE course in the morning and a more open course in the afternoon. Saturday's driving is open to anyone and will be timed by the Texas Region of SCCA. The 100 dB at 50 ft sound level will be enforced. Texas-style BBQ will be served at lunch (sponsored by GoEngineer). Saturday night will be a pizza party sponsored by GoEngineer to hear about new features of SolidWorks and SolidWorks Simulation www.GoEngineer.com/.

With a slight change for Sunday this year, SCCA will host a “Formula Cars Only” autocross event on our campus. They will allow up to 4 drivers per car. Entry fee will be $10 per driver and each driver will get 4 runs in a true autocross style. The 100 dB at 50 ft sound level will be enforced. You will be on your own for lunch (several fast foods across the street).

Last year we have had 16 schools represented, almost 40 FSAE cars, and over 200 students attending the event. Local spectators and sponsors attend. Some schools attend without cars just to learn.

Please e-mail me directly if you intend to attend. We will handle all details of registration through our own e-mail list.

-Dr. Bob Woods
    Woods@uta.edu
    817 996 0707 cell

Hotel booked today. We've got 1 car running, and rewelding some frame pieces on the other we're hoping to bring. Gonna have to throw a nice SWAG at the spring setup, but hopefully it works and we'll have a day or 2 to test out a couple spring setups. Either way, the University of Cincinnati will be there with at least 1 car, hopefully 2.
    Matt Davis
    University of Cincinnati
    Bearcat Motorsports: 2012-2013: Suspension guy

Bilstein: 2013 - ??: Product Engineer

This post is a collection of my own thoughts and opinions, and in no way, shape or form reflects the thoughts/opinions of my company, my university or anyone else but myself.

We have heard from UTA, UT Austin, Wichita State U, UM-Columbia, Cincinnati, Kansas State U, and U of New Mexico, U of North Texas, and Texas Tech. I suspect others will join us as well.

Any other teams that plan to join us need to contact me by e-mail as soon as possible.

-Dr. Bob Woods
    Woods@uta.edu

+ Reply to Thread