+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Tire Testing Consortium Registration is Open!

The FSAE TTC is ready for everybody to register! Here's how it will work:

1) Fill out the registration form, on which you will vote for the four tires you'd like to see tested the most.

2) Rename the registration form and email it to me.

3) Send payment to Doug Milliken.

The registration form and payment instructions are on the FSAE TTC Webpage:
    http://www.millikenresearch.com/fsaettc.html

Please read the entire page as it contains answers to all your likely questions.

I'd like to thank Edward Kasprzak, Dr. Bob Woods, and Doug Milliken for their work in planning and organizing this project.

Now, let's get it started!
    Alumni, University of Washington
    Structural / Mechanical Engineer, Blue Origin

The FSAE TTC is ready for everybody to register! Here's how it will work:

1) Fill out the registration form, on which you will vote for the four tires you'd like to see tested the most.

2) Rename the registration form and email it to me.

3) Send payment to Doug Milliken.

The registration form and payment instructions are on the FSAE TTC Webpage:
    http://www.millikenresearch.com/fsaettc.html

Please read the entire page as it contains answers to all your likely questions.

I'd like to thank Edward Kasprzak, Dr. Bob Woods, and Doug Milliken for their work in planning and organizing this project.

Now, let's get it started!

Denny,
    Good job. This surely is exciting. This will make for a much more advanced generation of race engineers thats for sure.

Thanks,

"3. Depending on workload, I hope that we will be able to process the tire data into our nondimensional coefficient form and make it available to the FSAE TTC members. This would include a small (Matlab?) program to expand the coefficients back into data for plotting or for use in other analysis. See Race Car Vehicle Dynamics (and Race Car Vehicle Dynamics: Problems, Answers and Experiments) Chapter 14 for more details. "

Will this be anything like the format the Goodyear data was in?
    What am I talking about???

hey denny,
    just wondering for all the international teams out there (especially for the SE Asian countries) who cannot afford the tyre testing fees, do they have any other means in getting the data, maybe something like a small amount of fee for each type of data?
    RiNaZ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Longitudinal Force tests cannot be run on 10" rims due to limitations of the Calspan test machine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Where does this leave teams running 10" wheels/tires?
    Code:
    "...with powershifts and tiresmoke for all"

To answer the questions so far:

Brian:
    Yes, I believe this would be similar to the Goodyear data of forces vs. slip angles / slip ratios.

RiNaZ:
    We have to keep the contribution level at $500, and there won't be any discounts because we're all FSAE teams raising money the hard way.

RacingGrandpa:
    This is an unfortunate limitation of the test equipment, but there's nothing we can do about it. The lateral force data by itself will be invaluable, and is probably more important than the longitudinal data. We will still get lateral force vs. slip angle data at multiple cambers and pressures (depending on where they are in the Tier structure). I don't know how well you will be able to extrapolate longitudinal performance of the 10's from the data we get from 13's, but that might be an option as well.

As another comment, only teams who submit their payment and registration forms by April 30th will be able to "vote" on their favorite four tires. So, hurry up and send your money! So far, only the University of Washington has registered.

Denny,

I am very interested! However I am running R17 Hoosier DOT tires on my car. That's a common tire in FSAE right?

Just kidding, very cool idea though. So you will test only the most popular tire?

Alex
    U of Washington FSAE Alumni

Hey Alex! How's the M3 looking these days? Do you want those Hoosiers in 17" or 18" rim sizes?

We're going to test the most popular tire sizes that we can afford. So, if more teams send money, we can test more tires. I expect that 4-5 different constructions will be tested.

The M3 is good. Getting ready for my first club race in May, I'm very excited. 17" for now.

Anyways I don't want to hijack this thread so I'll write you an email.

It's really great that you are organizing this, access to tire data in invaluable!
    U of Washington FSAE Alumni

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast