+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: Lets Talk ATV Differentials

Bump! Take a look here, you might be interested!
    Last edited by mech5496; 09-25-2013 at 09:54 AM.

I'm just gonna keep tagging onto this thread. I've read it through a few times now and there's lots of good information here, might as well keep compiling.

Our team has been running a cam and pawl Honda ATV diff (42400-HN0-671) in a custom aluminum casing for years now. This year I'm switching to a custom salisbury-type derived from ATV internals, as has been suggested before.

I have two questions: some say the Honda clutch pack diffs are really weak and won't hold up, some say they're fine. I'll only be using the gears and clutch packs and it sounds like others have run them. Any reliability issues? I plan on doing some in depth analysis on strength but without having one it's hard to do any analysis on the gear teeth. And I'd like to save the $250 if it'll definitely break.

Second questions: a Honda diff is my first choice because we have drawers of axle drivers built to match the splines on the cam and pawl, which is a 20-spline shaft. I would like to find a clutch pack that will allow back compatibility. Does anyone know if any of the Honda clutch pack ATV diffs have the same spline? I'm looking at the 42400-HM7-610 from the 1995-2001 TRX400 and the 1998-2001 TRX450 or the 42400-HC5-020 from the 1988-2000 TRX300, what are the differences between these? What spline count do they have?

Last note here, this is a bit more general, anyone looked into golf cart differentials? I figure they'll mostly be too weak for an FSAE car. How about side-by-sides?

So, anyone run the HM7 Honda diff?

Edit: I just called Honda Powersport about this and they had no information for me on splines.
    Last edited by xander18; 01-03-2014 at 02:49 PM.

We upgraded from the HN0 to the newer version of that diff a few years ago. I don't remember part number, but I think it was a little bit lighter, though you had to machine the ring gear off of it (get some good tooling you can toss afterwards). Never looked at the HM7, but I'd guess for Honda's sake they ran the same splines on them as with the newer cam and pawl diffs.

ATV diffs, like the Torsen Uni-special diffs, are a dying breed it seems. Taylor has finally caught up with the weight of the Honda packages, but hard to beat $250 vs $3000.
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Stewart-Haas Racing, Kettering University, or their employees, students, administrators or sponsors.

AxelRipper (appropriate name), we're currently running the HN0. The HC5 has smaller splines, 24 I believe, but I think the only difference between the HC5 and HM7 is the spline count. Some helpful person on a Honda Foreman forum took at a look at his diff and believes it has 20 splines (http://www.hondaforeman.com/128-fore...-450-have.html).

The cost is a driving factor here. With plentiful machining and material sponsors the only investment in the ATV diff over the Taylor is my own engineering time and this is tons of fun!

Well how do you do your splines? We bought used axles cheap off ebay, popped the CV's apart, machined them down so it was just the spline, then welded an adapter plate to them to run Taylor tripods.
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Stewart-Haas Racing, Kettering University, or their employees, students, administrators or sponsors.

We machine the splines ourselves. It's a single piece spline and tripod. We've made them out of ridiculously strong alloys or just 4340 with a heat treat.

Update: the HM7 differential has the same splines as the HN0 cam and pawl, 20 splines.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17