+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets Talk ATV Differentials

I'm looking for something to replace the fat torsen diff, thinking that the Honda Foremann/Rubicon front cam and pawl Suretrac is the way to go. The steel inner case that holds the actual gears looks like it would work out pretty good untouched except for gettin oil to stay in it somehow.
    Those that have run this (Kettering, Monash ect...) please chime in and give us some info on how it worked/didnt work and any pictures would be great
    thanks
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

I'm looking for something to replace the fat torsen diff, thinking that the Honda Foremann/Rubicon front cam and pawl Suretrac is the way to go. The steel inner case that holds the actual gears looks like it would work out pretty good untouched except for gettin oil to stay in it somehow.
    Those that have run this (Kettering, Monash ect...) please chime in and give us some info on how it worked/didnt work and any pictures would be great
    thanks
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

We'll be using the same diff that was used in our 2005 car. It's a cam and pawl from a Honda ATV, and it made for a compact drivetrain. At least one of the judges liked it.
    Jerry Harding
    University of South Florida - Formula SAE
    Engine/Drivetrain

works pretty much the same as torsen from what i understand, but it opens up quite a bit after a bit of driving (carroll smith talks about this in one of his books). We simply put some silicon in the holes in the back, and run a lip seal against the cv joint shafts on a little sleeve that goes around the diff bearing surface. The sleeve is also required as it is designed for a 29mm ID bearing (??) so we sleeve it up to a common size. Wollongong made their own casing, which was quite a bit neater than our setup. I believe the newer diffs have the crownwhell integral with the case, and you need to cut it off somehow, but the cases we have were bolt on crownwheels.
    Jarrod Hammond
    Monash University FSAE

how much to the honda diffs cost?
    jack
    College dropout extraordinaire
    (formerly WWU Rev-Hone Racing)

I recall one team talking about having to cut the gear off for there 05 car, not much a lathe couldn't do. Any pictures of your setups?

heres some info I found:
    http://www.vincie.org/Suretrac_Test.pdf
    http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/460560.cfm
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Monash's I believe
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

yep, thats ours, in 2003. From wollongongs website if i recall?
    Our website is currently down, some administration thing. There will be pics on there when we get it back up.
    Jarrod Hammond
    Monash University FSAE

I think I remember the University of Guelph using some sort of Suzuki ATV diff for their awd setup. I also remember vaguely them saying that the diff and the splined shafts they wanted to used luckily mated right up. Sheer luck I guess. Anyone have any more details on what they used?

Guelph uses a Suzuki ATV front diff, from the Vinson 500...
    My other ride is your mom...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast