+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Regarding front wings and aerodynamics...

you can put a floating skirt on, but have you ever looked at the system you would need to run it? Nightmare, and the suspension has to be stiff enough to keep the chassis and floor flat and at the right ride height. Just put really big wings on it!
    Jarrod Hammond
    Monash University FSAE

well what about shaping the underside of the car like an inverted wing, to create lower air pressure under the chassis and ultimately the entire car?

is that legal? is it even possible(for a first year school)?

The problem with that is that you need to have the top surface to follow that design but your body will not function as the opposite surface of a wing. Search the forum for undertray design.
    Greg Hartman
    Cessna Aircraft
    Mizzou Racing 2003-2006

i really don't see that, it seems like you could do it. maybe i don't know enough about aerodynamics, but wouldn't it work even somewhat regardless of the shape of the upperside of the car?
    (with wings)

unsprung mounted undertray, but that still dont work properly

hey Eddie, are you talking about some kind of vortex generator to seal the underbody? i wouldnt think you could get that kinda thing working on a fsae track, wings are hard enough...
    - ARC '04 member (now retired ) - Bling Bling Competition winners FSAE-A '04 (and design winners)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Erin:
    well what about shaping the underside of the car like an inverted wing, to create lower air pressure under the chassis and ultimately the entire car?
    is that legal? is it even possible(for a first year school)? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    It's legal and has been done. But not by a rookie team. Concentrate on core necessities first.

If you wish to continue pondering aero on the side, I really suggest you look thru UTA posts and pics on the matter in past threads. One of those threads had this:
    -David Y

LOBOMotorsports '03-'05
    Stanford Formula for 2007

Aaaaand just in case we are not all familiar with the how wrong the commonly accepted myth of airfoils is:
    http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/miscon/miscon4.html#wing

Could also google the subject.
    -Steve Yao
    UNM LoboMotorsports '03-'05
    UWashington Formula SAE '06-'08

it has been done by a first year team

aukland did it

http://www.uq.edu.au/fsae/sae_a_2004...s/auckland.jpg

I stand corrected.
    -David Y

LOBOMotorsports '03-'05
    Stanford Formula for 2007