+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Regarding front wings and aerodynamics...

I was doing some research and I want to know if its legal in the FSAE to use the inverted wing shape for the underside of the chassis or if it has to be flat, or can you use a Venturi design with sidepods, or maybe both?

And with front wings, I have only seen one previous school use one on their car and that was UTA. Is there a reason for that?

My brain is boiling over with experimental designs and its 11pm, I want some sleep so could someone help me with this? ....PLEASE!!!

Thanks,

Erin Urvina
    University of Alaska Anchorage
    Rookie Team

I was doing some research and I want to know if its legal in the FSAE to use the inverted wing shape for the underside of the chassis or if it has to be flat, or can you use a Venturi design with sidepods, or maybe both?

And with front wings, I have only seen one previous school use one on their car and that was UTA. Is there a reason for that?

My brain is boiling over with experimental designs and its 11pm, I want some sleep so could someone help me with this? ....PLEASE!!!

Thanks,

Erin Urvina
    University of Alaska Anchorage
    Rookie Team

Alot of the aero that's illegal in other forms of formula racing is allowed in FSAE. So you can indeed use inverted wings where ever you like.

Other teams that have aero include:
    UM Rolla
    Pomona
    Monash
    and a few others
    -David Y

LOBOMotorsports '03-'05
    Stanford Formula for 2007

Erin,

Hi. Just want to clarify, UTA was not the first to do aero, nor the first to do an undertray. We've tried a few configurations and are happy with the current package. If you have seen it, it's definitely easier than trying to describe it here. Our website has pictures of the older style undertray and wing package.

I will caution you, that you probably don't want to pursue aero right away. Most rookie teams have enough on their plate getting a simple car finished on time. Dig into that elephant one bite at a time.

Best of luck,
    - Erick

FSAE ('99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04 '05 pit stop '07)
    FSAE Australasia '00
    FSAE Japan '04

ours:

you would also want to check out monash: http://www-personal.monash.edu.au/~fsae/home.htm

and one of the most attractive aero cars (IMHO):

there are lots of other teams with aero as well. if you are going to do aero, make sure you get the mounting sorted out early on. also search the forums, there has been lots of discussion on this topic.
    - ARC '04 member (now retired ) - Bling Bling Competition winners FSAE-A '04 (and design winners)

the main "illegal" design is "sliding skirts"

Sliding skirts aren't banned as such frank, you just have to think laterally about it.

The #24 car is our 2002 car (the UMR sticker is almost impossible to see on that car). We have more pictures of it (with all of its stickers) and others on our website.

Thanks for the compliment, gug.
    --------------------------
    Matt Giaraffa
    Missouri S&T (UMR) FSAE 2001 - 2005

3.2.1 Ground Clearance
    Ground clearance must be sufficient to prevent any portion of the car (other
    than tires) from touching the ground during track events.

we always thought that meant no sliding skirts..

how do you see it Eddie?

Have a think about it Frank, think outside the box.

You can have sliding skirts on one of these cars and not break the rules.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast