+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can your valves do this?

We had great time the last night starting the freshly rebuilt motor in our '05 car. In fact. we had so much fun our valves decided to start dancing. Here's a few pictures of of them in mid-tango.

\

Wesley
    OU Sooner Racing Team Alum '09

connecting-rods.blogspot.com

There was a lot of bling going on in the oil sump. It looked like the trash can next to the CNC Lathe.... Shoulda taken pics

Electronics
    OU FSAE

In the Valve's defense the engine was making some beautiful music right up until the big *Chrunchity Bang Bang*, I can understand a little dancing.
    - "An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Bohr

who built that motor anyway? you almost seem proud of it.
    OU

I bet it was the "Nos" intake that did it.
    Colorado FSAE | '05 - '07
    Goodyear Tire & Rubber | '07 - '11
    NASCAR Engineer | '11 - ??

Proud of it, not hardly. Impressed by the forces involved, very much so.

No sense in sulking over it, I made a mistake, broke things that I wish I hadn't, lesson learned.

None of it meant as a show-off. I wanted to blow off some steam, and sort of explain what had happened.
    Wesley

Originally posted by Jersey Tom:
    I bet it was the "Nos" intake that did it.
    In a way. If I had put the second cam guide on instead of making that "sticker," it wouldn't have happened.
    Wesley

Those must be the special heat activated memory shaped variable low lift valves.

One day I will post a pic of our custom cut "Scandinavian Flick" cams. The cusp lobes add immeasurable amounts of torques.
    U. of Waterloo 07 Techincal Director
    HPD - Electrical LMP2

With the help of some other members, it seems like we've got it sorted now - we ran it on an initial warm up and it seemed healthy.

The real test comes soon, when we do some full-RPM passes to seat the rings nice and good. Got my fingers crossed...

Now if we can just get our mechanical shifter figured out. I'd post pics of our current setup, but that would do our team a great injustice. We call it the "rip-cord" setup...
    Wesley

Samba? Or tango?
    Campus policies left students shooting back with camera phones. Life's worth more than pictures.
    www.ConcealedCampus.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast