+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pi Data Aq wheelspeed sensors???

Has anyone had any luck finding sensors (specifically an 'active' wheelspeed sensor) for a Pi System One on their own? If you buy it from Pi, it costs almost $200.

I believe the wheelspeed sensor is an NPN style inductive proximity sensor, +5VD, 135 mA.

Most of the sensors I have been able to find use a +10 VDC positive rail, not +5 VDC.

Secondly, does anyone know the difference (quantitative, not qualitative) between the 'active' sensor and the 'hall effect' senser. The terms 'active' and 'hall effect' are what Pi uses on their website.

Any of you MoTeC users out there have price/specs on the MoTeC sensor?

Donavan Haidinger
    University of Wisconsin - Madison FSAE

Has anyone had any luck finding sensors (specifically an 'active' wheelspeed sensor) for a Pi System One on their own? If you buy it from Pi, it costs almost $200.

I believe the wheelspeed sensor is an NPN style inductive proximity sensor, +5VD, 135 mA.

Most of the sensors I have been able to find use a +10 VDC positive rail, not +5 VDC.

Secondly, does anyone know the difference (quantitative, not qualitative) between the 'active' sensor and the 'hall effect' senser. The terms 'active' and 'hall effect' are what Pi uses on their website.

Any of you MoTeC users out there have price/specs on the MoTeC sensor?

Donavan Haidinger
    University of Wisconsin - Madison FSAE
    Buckingham

I would have said that hall effect sensors are active as they have a switching transistor inside them and require a voltage supply for the circuitry where as reluctor pickup sensors are passive and rely only on he induced voltage created in the coil from the moving ferrous object to provide a signal. that's probably not much help to you though.
    Full Boar Racing (02, 03, 04, 05)
    http://gtv.seddon.ca

Try the Honeywell GT1. It's an open collector hall effect design so you might need a pull-up resistor if the Pi System 1 doesn't already include that (it probably does if it works with industrial inductive proximity switches).

$22.64 from Newark.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by murpia:
    Try the Honeywell GT1. It's an open collector hall effect design so you might need a pull-up resistor if the Pi System 1 doesn't already include that (it probably does if it works with industrial inductive proximity switches).

$22.64 from Newark.com <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. This is a great little sensor that we have used for wheel speed, engine RPM, misc shaft speeds, etc.
    Brian Lewis
    Performance Electronics, Ltd.
    www.pe-ltd.com
    http://www.facebook.com/Perf.Elec.Ltd
    Engine Management Systems

+ Reply to Thread