+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: FSAE-A improvements

I agree, that if you were at comp needing dyno tune, then you have some issues.

If I remember correctly, at FSAE in Michigan, teams had a choice when they could do a dyno run. The smart teams run it after all the dynamic events were completed.

There was an industry sponsored prize given out for teams whom the dyno team considered displayed good tuning knowledge, technique and produced good results. We're not just shooting for horsepower here.

Again, four wheel scales were available at Michigan and industry sponsored award given out to teams that displayed good understanding of vehicle setup.

Again, several major tyre companies were at Michigan with their trucks fitted with tire fitting facilities and tyres available for purchase.

For the number of teams competiting vs facilities available, the Aus comp isn't doing too badly.

Maybe the tilt table could second as a COG measuring device with a few tweaks..

Fred

Ultimately, I think the Australian Comp needs a lot more interest & support from alumni team members. After being involved with this competition for a while, it seems that most teams just loose there alumni to the world, and never hear from them again.

It seems that FSG has the support of hundreds of alumni as volenteers at the event to help with the set up & planning. Who better to assist with event organisation than past team members who understand the needs & wants of the students. Alumni all work somewhere. Why not support the next generation of students by getting in your bosses ear and supporting the competition.

FSAE is a great concept, and the Australian teams are very successful on the world stage. It would be nice to see our competition reflect our engineering ability.

Calling all alumni, Help!
    Jon O'Neill

Advisor-UTS Motorsports, Sydney, Australia
    www.utsmotorsports.com

FSG seems like THE event to be at, If FSAE-A wants to make improvements, they could start with doing what FSG do. We have regular contact with our alumni, do many other teams? I imagine Eastern states teams may have more grads able to help with the planning and running of comp.
    ex-UWA Motorsport

General team member 2013-15, Vehicle Dynamics Team Lead 2012
    Project Manager 2011, Powertrain minion 2009/10

The main reason I propose dyno runs is that the data we have pulled off the FSG website has been very useful in making conceptual design decisions. We all know there are calibration and correction differences between dynos so having everyone use the same dyno would allow for interesting powertrain judging. I too agree that using a dyno to tune at the comp would mean you have very big issues to worry about and if you were worried about your car breaking on the dyno you should probably skip acceleration. I don't know if ADFA would be able to actually take theirs but it would be worth investigating if there was enough interest from teams and the powertrain design judges.

I agree that FSG seems to be the comp to aspire towards these days. If I was living in Melbourne I would definitely try to help with organisation. I still think we should somehow try to encourage SAE-A and IEASUT to collaborate some how and get more diverse industry involvement.

Cheers
    Olly

Academy Racing 04-07, 09-11
    UNSW@ADFA

I'm sure there will be a group of the Auckland alumni attending this year. I'm not yet sure if I'll be there though, but I'm going to try.

If a group of guys can make the 3 1/2hour flight then others can too, it's what you work for, the cash to have fun.

From helping out last year, I can tell you that it's the best way to see the cars. You get to sit out in the field and have a good look as the cars do their stuff. Plus if you add a bit of fun to it (such as dressing up as ghost busters or Mario) you hardly notice the work.
    Brent

3rd world solutions for real world problems.

UoA FSAE 2004-2008

firstly, at uq we don't have alot of contact with alumni, theres a couple of guys who still keep in touch but most we dont hear from. although most actually leave the team before graduating anyway.

with regards to improving the comp, i agree more industry involvement would be good but id hate for mining companies to get involved. yeah i know they have big cash to throw around but at my uni at least, everyone tries to force you into either mining or hypersonic research from the first day of first year. FSAE at my campus at least, is one of the last Sanctuary's for mech engg kids who want to engineer in a normal capacity, not down a mine shaft. surely they can find enough automotive related companies to get on board, NGK, Penrite, Bendix, Ferrodo, Century, etc just to name a few.

also, is there a way of bringing these things to the attention of the event organisers? i mean we'd probs have to discuss it and come to more of a consensus on here about what is needed, desired, feasible and affordable, but if we could get a basic agreement is there some way of putting together a proposal of the "recommendations," per se and bring to the organisers attention? probably too late for this year's comp but nice an early next year's.

It should be the role of academic advisors, because after all we are all just students, In the past we have had people leave the team via graduation, the past few we have not had many grads, those who have left gave it in, kind of disjointing especially looking at the experience we have lost.

The Aus automotive industry is on its way down, to secure the comp we need some big backing. IMECH would be great.
    ex-UWA Motorsport

General team member 2013-15, Vehicle Dynamics Team Lead 2012
    Project Manager 2011, Powertrain minion 2009/10

hahaha academic advisors, you make me laugh. sorry mate this isnt a go at you or anything and i agree now that you mention it, it should be their role. problem is that in the 2.5 years ive been involved in FSAE, our academic advisors (there have been two), have done nothing at all besides sign the occasional form. no advice in the slightest lol. its a mission just to track them down to sign stuff let alone get them to actually help with things.

so out of curiosity how much involvement do other teams advisors have? and what sort of stuff do they do to help out? (sorry i know this is slightly off topic).

they should get some media backing, plenty of money in the media, better exposure for potential sponsors, students, the universities,etc. everybody happy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris B:
    also, is there a way of bringing these things to the attention of the event organisers? i mean we'd probs have to discuss it and come to more of a consensus on here about what is needed, desired, feasible and affordable, but if we could get a basic agreement is there some way of putting together a proposal of the "recommendations," per se and bring to the organisers attention? probably too late for this year's comp but nice an early next year's. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been quietly watching this thread, and taking stock of some of the excellent suggestions put forth. SAE-A is very conscious of putting together the best comp they can within the constraints of the resources available to them. As has been noted, excess resources within the Oz auto industry are very hard to come by, be it money or manpower.

Some random notes:

Representation:
    I've volunteered my services to help the new FSAE Event Organizer, Michela, organize the event this year. Part of this will include liaising with the various sponsors, decision-makers, key players etc. I am taking note of the suggestions on this thread, and will be putting forth feasible ideas to the organizing committee. (I'll also be raising the point-scoring changes as raised in another thread). I'm hesitant to make outlandish promises about what we can achieve, but will do my best.

Manpower:
    Critical issue. If you believe FSAE is a good thing, (and I'd assume those reading these forums would think so), then volunteer your services. This is a huge event to organize, and the more active assistants the better the event will be.

Money:
    #1: SAE subscription.
    How many join the SAE simply for the event and never renew the subscription? For all the experience & life skills gained, and the employability head-start you get over non-FSAE graduates, you only want to spend $55? SAE-A is struggling, and there are questions to be answered about putting on such an expensive event when there is little loyalty from those who benefit the most.

#2: Alumni support - corporate:
    Your company has benefited from your FSAE experience. Speak to your finance manager about a charitable donation.

#3: Alumni support - personal:
    Imagine if, as a goodwill gesture, every FSAE-A alumni pitched in $10 a year towards the ongoing health of the event. This program has benefited a multitude of engineering students over the years, and such a small donation across the thousands of benefactors would take the Oz event to a higher level.

It is up to us, ladies and gents...
    Geoff Pearson

RMIT FSAE 02-04
    Monash FSAE 05
    RMIT FSAE 06-07

Design it. Build it. Break it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast