+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Banking section in Enduro

For argument's sake (don't want to step on any toes): is it possible that the teams having problems on the banking is a result of a design flaw? Perhaps a small misalignment, which also causes a bending moment in the pushrod? Usually that's the cause for buckling (in combination with axial loading)
    The funny thing is that only a small percentage of teams have had problems with the banking. I enjoyed it anyway

Miki Hegedus
    Delft University of Technology

To go along with MH... If there was an issue in the banking it is most likely due to a design flaw or manufacturing flaw. I am glad to hear most teams that broke a part due to the banking aren't complaining against it, just saying that it happened. Even though are cars are designed for autocrossing and some people were upset by the banking I have raced our FSAE cars in autocross at parking lots where there was well over 10-15 ft of elevation change and the additional forces have to be dealt with.
    Brake Team
    Zips Racing
    The University of Akron
    www.zipsracing.com <---- Cool New Website
    http://www.uakron.edu/groups/sae/formula/

At WMU we had to replace out short side half-shaft with one which was just barely long enough to work after a complication 3 days before competition. Since the half-shaft was not seated properly (due to length), the bank pulled the bearing out of the CV at the diff with 2 laps to go on endurance. Live and learn

WMU Formula Racing
    '09 Suspension Team Leader
    Geoff Van Gemert
    Western Michigan University
    2009-2010 Project Manager & Suspension Team Leader
    2008-2009 Suspension Team Leader
    2007-2008 Suspension

yep, we had the same halfshaft problem, no issues with the banking though fortunately

ended up with a pretty nasty fix using zip ties and scrap sheet steel to hold it on

held up for endurance though, including some pretty questionable driving

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2