+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Torsen or quaife type differential wanted

I am with a team participating in Purdue EV Grand Prix, we are interested in using formula technology to power our car.

I am looking for a torsen "University Special", Quaife "QDF7ZR", or Zexel (Not sure of model number) based diff assembly preferably with casing, bearing carrier assembly, mating half shafts & adapter spline. These are not completely necessary though.

Feel free to respond to this post, PM me or send an email to gfurey@purdue.edu

Thanks,

George Furey

I am with a team participating in Purdue EV Grand Prix, we are interested in using formula technology to power our car.

I am looking for a torsen "University Special", Quaife "QDF7ZR", or Zexel (Not sure of model number) based diff assembly preferably with casing, bearing carrier assembly, mating half shafts & adapter spline. These are not completely necessary though.

Feel free to respond to this post, PM me or send an email to gfurey@purdue.edu

Thanks,

George Furey

George,

Unless you find used parts, the only 'drop-in' solutions are probably going to come from Taylor Racing, one of the techs there names Scotty posts here a lot, give him a call (he's busy, and phone calls are more courteous than e-mails about pricing), he may be able to suggest something for you, but they sell a complete diff + drivers + halfshaft package ready to be chain / belt driven.

Take out the spaces:

h t t p://www.taylor-race.com/pdf/ACF4CC.pdf

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

George,

Just posted something, but it got caught in the spam filter - short answer is call Scotty at Taylor Racing, he posts here and their company makes one of the only drop-in-ready diff + driver + halfshaft packages, otherwise you'll probably have to buy used, or buy a new unit from Torsen and make case and output stubs and such.

Drew

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

Drew,

I have seen the taylor race package available on their website. However, we had wanted to go with a previous FSAE team setup since they would already have the bearings and brackets to which we could simply mount to. Does the taylor race TRE/TPE differential already include bearings? From the picture on their website it definitely looks like it has some mounting points but I am not completely sure.

We are mainly looking to buy used to keep costs down, and we do not have the time and or resources to buy a new torsen unit and make all the parts for it.

If bearings and brackets are what you're after, we'd be willing to sell you some used brackets that we got with our used diff, along with the bearings which we would recommend that you replace. The brackets are just some 6-bolt bearing carriers that would bolt onto a piece of plate as your diff mounts. Should simplify your build process a bit and save time, if that's what you're really after.

They fit the University Special I believe. PM me for more info.

Nick Renold
    Northwestern Formula Racing - Suspension Lead '11

Thanks Drew.....

George,
    Our small TRE diff will come complete with bearings , stubs and full of oil. I did not put the bearings on for the picture because they took up too much room.We also make some aluminum pieces that will capture the bearings and make it easier to fab it into your chassis.

Send me an e-mail and I will loud you up with some pictures and drawings....

scotty
    scotty@taylor-race.com
    scotty
    Taylor Race
    scotty@taylor-race.com
    taylor-race.com

We have a Formula Student Special from Torsen, here at Warwick Racing. (Warwick University's Formula Student Team)

012000 University Special for the FSAE teams.

http://www.torsen.com/fsae/fsaefaq.htm

Let me know if you are interested.

Open to offers on it.
    Willing to ship anywhere. Based in the UK

Contact me if interested:

warwickracing@gmail.com
    h.t.gordon-finlayson@warwick.ac.uk

Nick-

Sent you a PM, I am interested in the mounting hardware you have. Ive got someone else willing to sell me an old university special which would mount up to the brackets you have.

Id like to see some pics of all the parts your talking about first. Send an email to gfurey@purdue.edu with pics attached and we can work out the details.

Thanks,

George Furey

We have also have a Torsen here at UCONN from our first year, we use a differnet system now so we have no need for it. It is massive when packaged with all the mounting harware, somewhere in the 40# range I think. I can email you pictures if you want.
    UCONN FSAE: Old Guy #2
    www.facebook.com/uconnfsae

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast