+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: fsae suspension

^thanks a lot tony... will try to follow what you said...

Originally posted by SteveHarasym:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RaceCatt69:
    start by stopping. suspension on an FSAE car is not a necessity. put your efforts elsewhere, but dont put them all in one basket as they say
    You, sir, should also read the rules and/or stop giving blatantly wrong advice. It is necessary to have a suspension. See T6.1.1 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yes, I should have worded differently. I meant it is not necessary to put a lot of effort into suspension design.

Originally posted by RaceCatt69:
    yes, I should have worded differently. I meant it is not necessary to put a lot of effort into suspension design.
    On our courses yes it is, this isn't the local drags.

hi again... m facing a prblm with my front suspension... i minimised the roll centre movement ... but as per the animation generated by lotus... the dampers and springs are not moving in a straight line but change their angle with respect to their axis and their fronts move closer to each other(i am using double wishbone pushrod to damper for front...) also... the lower A arms are like just 100mm apart and the upper ones are 200mm apart... such distances are permissible right?

Abhilash,
    If you posted some pictures, we might have a better idea of your issues.

Pat
    The trick is ... There is no trick!

Abhilash,
    If you didn't know where to start, how did you start analyzing??
    The analyzer won't help you much if you haven't researched. Right now you should probably pic up a few vehicle dynamics books and try and understand about tires,then proceed to the geometry.
    try figuring out things yourself about Why we do this and its effect and whatever

also if you don't understand the book, don't worry. Switch to another one. Then come back to the first one and try reading the part you didn't understand again.

start with a paper written by Adam Theander to get familiar with the basics
    try Carrol Smith books
    then if you start understanding things extremely well, try reading RCVD(thats a bit advanced)

also, Complete car suspension is also a highly recommended book

get your hands on some tire data. try to understand it.

this much should keep you busy for quite a lot of time

Abhilash,

As Pat said, pictures would help us better understand your question. Although in general, having the "damper axis" change direction is not a problem. Need pictures to help out more though.
    ----
    UAlberta 2013 - Suspension Design Lead
    UAlberta 2012 - Lackey

Spring/damper axis by itself is not really that important.
    What DOES matter is the amount of spring/damper compression and extension versus vertical wheel motion.
    Many moving suspension points are going to travel in arcs, so a lot of angles are going to change with vertical wheel travel, including the axis of the spring/damper.
    Cheers, Tony

Originally posted by Abhilash Saksena:
    ... i minimised the roll centre movement ....
    Abhilash,

Why do you want to "minimise roll centre movement"?

Some people say it is NOT a problem. Where, or from whom, did you hear that it should be minimised???

Z

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2