+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fsae suspension

hey guys... i am looking forward to design a suspension for our fsae car... the thing is this is the first time my university is doing smthing like this and i hv no clue where to start from and how to start... i do have lotus suspension analyser but other than that what should i read through and how exactly should i proceed?

You must be kidding. Maybe you should read the "Read this first" threat of this forum.

You're obviously too lazy to do any research on your own (there's plenty of literature recommended on this forum). This is NOT how this works...
    Rennteam Uni Stuttgart
    2008: Seat and Bodywork
    2009: Team captain

GreenTeam Uni Stuttgart
    2010: Seat and Bodywork / Lamination whore

Formula Student Austria
    2012: Operative Team

^This.

Honestly, if you don't have any idea where to start, you haven't done the slightest bit of research, and have slim chances of getting it complete, since we're not going to hold your had through the process. Follow Bemo's suggestion of the "Read this first" thread, use the "Find" button, and figure out which books/articles/tech papers to read, and then if you're still confused, come back with a better understanding of the subject.
    Adam
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Kettering University, it's students and administrators, or our sponsors.

Yeah man, that is way too general of a question. Start with the competition rules and the "Read this first" thread, and go from there.
    ----
    UAlberta 2013 - Suspension Design Lead
    UAlberta 2012 - Lackey

Well since everyone is doing it:

Start with the "Read this first" thread.

And since you'll probably have a legitimate question later that everybody is too afraid to admit they don't know the answer to themselves, "FBD that shit."

I'll even through in a few other generic questions to consider when posting your own: "What is your goal here?" "How will that help your team?" "What load path is the _________ going to take?" "Are you only doing this because somebody else did?" and "Have you tried doing any research?"

Now of course, nearly all of these questions will have occurred to you, and you've probably spent some time thinking about it and just don't know. Maybe you're a freshman thrown in over your head or someone who barely speaks English from a country without good engineering resources or that censors their Google results, which is why you came to this forum in the first place to ask your question. But unfortunately we now live in a time where nobody here is going to do your work for you.

So yes, go back and start with the "read this first" thread. You'll find all sorts of books and articles there. Freshen up on those, talk with any vehicle dynamics professors and experts you can. Herb Adams has a great very basic book for beginners to suspension design and tuning though the name of it escapes me right now.

But unfortunately we now live in a time where nobody here is going to do your work for you.
    Why is this unfortunate?

While I often wish this forum was just a little kinder to those who need some direction, I don't think anyone should ever expect this forum to do someone's work for them.
    Dr. Edward M. Kasprzak
    President: EMK Vehicle Dynamics, LLC
    Associate: Milliken Research Associates, Inc.
    Co-Director: FSAE Tire Test Consortium
    Lecturer: SAE Industrial Lecture Program
    FSAE Design Judge

Originally posted by Abhilash Saksena:
    hey guys... i am looking forward to design a suspension for our fsae car... the thing is this is the first time my university is doing smthing like this and i hv no clue where to start from and how to start... i do have lotus suspension analyser but other than that what should i read through and how exactly should i proceed?
    Cheers, Tony

OOPS, hit the trigger too soon.

How should I proceed is not such an unreasonable question.

1/ Read the rules through very carefully.
    2/ Work your way through the recommended reading list provided on this Forum.
    3/ Research what other entrants are doing, or have done in years past, and try to understand WHY they did it that way.
    4/ Figure out a plan of action, taking into account all your own available resources and limitations.
    5/ For a very first effort, keep it simple, and just try to make a basic drivable reliable car that will get you right through the competition to the very end.
    6/ Your aim should be just to to FINISH and gain some points in every area but gain significant experience for your next attempt.
    Cheers, Tony

start by stopping. suspension on an FSAE car is not a necessity. put your efforts elsewhere, but dont put them all in one basket as they say

Originally posted by RaceCatt69:
    start by stopping. suspension on an FSAE car is not a necessity. put your efforts elsewhere, but dont put them all in one basket as they say
    You, sir, should also read the rules and/or stop giving blatantly wrong advice. It is necessary to have a suspension. See T6.1.1
    ----
    UAlberta 2013 - Suspension Design Lead
    UAlberta 2012 - Lackey

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast