+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Roll cage analysis

Hi,

We are participating in FSAE for the first time next year.
    The design of the rollcage is almost done and we will be jumping into the analysis part.

Since ansys is new to us, right now we are doing the analysis on SOLIDWORKS 2012. after alot of discussions and literature survey we have come to a conclusion on doing a linear dynamic analysis on the roll cage.

Now here we are facing some problems:

we are quite unclear about the forces that are to be applied. we have calculated the forces using the equations of motions and momentum but the results differ from the forces that are given in the rule book.
    Like, in the rule book the front impact force is given to be as 150KN, so we are unclear on how will this much force act on the car?

-----
    Cheers

Read the ****** rules!

ARTICLE 3: DRIVER’S CELL
    T3.1 Vehicle Structure - 2 Options
    Teams may, at their option, design their vehicle to comply with either of two (2) separate, but related, sets of requirements and restrictions. Specifically, teams may elect to comply with either:
    (1) Part T Article 3 “Drivers Cell” as defined below or
    (2) Part AF “Alternate Frame Rules” as found in Appendix AF and the FSAE website.
    T3.1.1 Notice Requirement – Teams planning to use the Part AF “Alternate Frame Rules” must notify the Rules committee of their intent by the date posted on the SAE Website. The instructions for notification appear in Part AF. The Rules Committee will review the submission and notify the team if the request is granted. Part AF has significant analytical requirements and as it is still in development this application process will insure that the Committee can handle the workload and give teams the support they may require to show certification as well as insure the teams have the technical capability to analyze their design and prove compliance with the AF Rules.

I doubt a first year team will receive permission to use the AF Rules. So, don't try to design to the AF rules. Article 3 of the rules does this work for you, all you have to do is put the tubes where they say, and your done.

Pete

The forces are outlined in the rules. It is not a matter of if the car will see the forces but that those are the requirements. I imagine it is for a bit of built in safety.

Reread the rules and build the car to fit them.

Which competition(s) are you going to?

AF Rules have not been applied for any team since FSAE Michagan 2012. Please correct my if I'm wrong.

I know, this does not help the OP, but it might shed some light on the AF Rules.

+ Reply to Thread