+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Reverse Trike Project

>Mathis

Yes, definately a looker. I never did find a rear or top view of it until this winter. It turns out to taper very quickly to the rear point. That's sometimes called a 'bluff' form and so at freeway speeds it may deveolop erratic/distrubed airflows.

I collected car images for years and did a number of 'morphic' studies on them, the Mathis was one. I basically stretched it out as an inline seater rather than a sociable seating.

I don't really believe in sociable seating for three wheelers, it kind of negates the point of it IMHO.

>drifting

lol, yes you would want to have the CG very very low if you choose to do that in a RT. I wouldn't try it in a 1F2R, but somebody would I'm sure.

You kind of touched on a sore point, of course. Trikes are not as strong a platform as 4 wheelers for any typical circuit racing.

So that would not be the point of racing them, IMHO. The point would be to improve the breed in a rules limited formula. i.e. the best 3 wheeler you can make, matched to the skills required.

Of course my favorite is FWD Tadpole configuration, and I don't believe FWD is best for drifting either since you can't easily control oversteering though throttle manipulation.

So I personally wouldn't do that kind of trick-driving in one. There are other desireable things to pay attention to, things maybe even useful for closed circuit track and top speed racing. :-)

Oh, now that you mention it, the top on my Atlantric design is very much like the messerschmitt, but it's removeable. That means I can provide an optional top more suitible to racing, and I intent to do so. 'cause why not? I'ld really really like to see a peripheral ported rotary in one too for track racing, 'cause why not?

If anyone gets interested in the current state of the project, there is now a facebook page. Atlantric Project
    In put about the design for either racing or street use is welcome. One innovation discussed is an Indy-Cycle type front suspension. This is where the front wheels are locked together through the same shock system. This is even a stronger 'empathy' for left-right coupling than a beam-axle front end. And has a comparably stronger anti-sway dynamic. Of course the obvious trade-offs exist. But being a three wheeler it's considered a less dramatic loss compared to a 4 wheeler. Those trade offs being more acceptible on the track than for occupant comfort. . .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7