+ Reply to Thread

Thread: About the Design Presentation

Hey there, We didn't do so well at the design pres at Detroit 2005, though it was our firts year. I believe we had few supporting material, but also i heard of other team that gave to the judges a binder with several calculation, pictures, analysis and stuff on it. Does anyone know how much material you usually put on it, or how specific is the content of this binder?
    I Salute You
    CSS

Hey there, We didn't do so well at the design pres at Detroit 2005, though it was our firts year. I believe we had few supporting material, but also i heard of other team that gave to the judges a binder with several calculation, pictures, analysis and stuff on it. Does anyone know how much material you usually put on it, or how specific is the content of this binder?
    I Salute You
    CSS

be specific enough to prove your point
    OU

The binder should probably have all the design and testing data you have for your car. The most important thing about having a binder is the ability to use it. We had tons of stuff in our binders but since we assembled them a few days before competition we were unable to use them effectivly simply because we didn't know where everything was.
    OSU FSAE 05-06

We don't give the judges a binder, we just give them a few photos of the car (as spelled out in the rules). Our design boards highlight the coolest stuff about the car, and our notebooks have all the calculations and testing data to back it up when they ask us more detailed questions.
    Alumni, University of Washington
    Structural / Mechanical Engineer, Blue Origin

I haven't personally been to competition, but I hear all the time that the judges expect you to bring out what you really want to show them about the car. After all I guess they are there to listen more and ask less. Then again I could be wrong.
    ASU Motorsports -- Starting 2006

The binder that you are most likely referring to is specifically listed in 4.5.12 Photographic Requirements. The rule states that all teams SHOULD (note, it is not required) provide photos of their car...

The reason for this is that by the end of the day in design judging we sometimes find it difficult to recall all the specific details about all the cars we have seen that day. The photos are a terrific help.

Any team entering this competition would be well advised to bring photos (of your car) for the design judges. It is just another great opportunity to get your car and it's innovative details in front of our eyes one more time.

DO NOT add any more design specs, charts, graphs, or any other hard engineering data. We already have your design report, and have read it in detail before and during design judging.
    Steve Fox
    FSAE-MI Chief Design Judge
    Formula Bharat Chief Design Judge (Coming in 2017!)
    FS-India Chief Design Judge (NO further association)
    FSG Chief Design Judge (ret.)
    FSA Chief Design Judge (ret.)
    FSAE-VIR Design Event Captain (ret.)
    SAE Industrial Lecturer
    http://students.sae.org/chapters/lec.../lecturers.htm

Re: Having a binder ready:

As others have said, we don't require one. However, you should be ready to back up your statements with documentation. As such, having one or more binders available, which have been organized and indexed, is usually helpful to the team. The "boards" help as well.

Now, just because you may not be asked a question which requires you to go to that documentation doesn't mean you should have it prepared and available - just in case. It's all about your preparation for the design judging.

+ Reply to Thread