+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: F1 GP of Canada

Renault keeps saying they are not running an extreme rear wieght bias, but this may have to be taken with a grain of salt. They have said that thier extreme launches are because of a "fundamental understanding" of the process, whatever that means. It could very well mean a large rear wieght bias helps.

Renault's side of the story has always been that they do run a little heavier at the rear, but not by much and that that isn't the main reason behind their performance. Pat Symonds (Renault F1's "executive director of engineering") came to visit Warwick in November, and told us then "I'm amazed that, after three years, the other top teams haven't caught on to what we're doing"! That was about as much detail as he'd give us.

Incidentally, both BARs struggled at the start in Canada, but looking at past races (e.g. Imola), they've started OK this year. If weight bias was all that was stopping BAR launching well, they'd just move some of their ballast backwards a bit.
    Simon
    Warwick Formula Student

Jenson's snail pace warmup lap to cool off Schui's Bridgestones was funniest/smartest tactic seen in a long time. watching it again I reckon that Jenson ran his car a little too straight in the 1st half of the lap and the Renault guys can be seen really working their tyres in the background almost like they knew what Jenson was going to do......Anyhow I'm sure the Renaults looked good because their tyre temps were higher. The McLarens launch was as good and both teams were carrying 30-40kg more fuel than Button and Schui.
    F1 racing has been top shelf this year,and this race was prob best. First time I have stayed bright eyed at 4am watching any kind of racing.

60% rear weight bias was last years drama for Renault, I'm sure they wouldn't go there again.
    My guess is 55% to 56%

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by EliseS2:
    Renault keeps saying they are not running an extreme rear wieght bias, but this may have to be taken with a grain of salt. They have said that thier extreme launches are because of a "fundamental understanding" of the process, whatever that means. It could very well mean a large rear wieght bias helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    what i have read is that they're running a torque-biased engine and a beefed up gearbox. Not only is the gearbox stronger(heavier) but they also run thicker driveshafts. All this strengthening resuslts in a rearward bias by default. Another component they've beefed up is the clutch which is apparently 5" in dia(others run 4-4.5"). The purpose of all this strengthineing is to allow the drivers to 'pre-load' the drivetrain by slipping the clutch and holding the car with the brakes. Their engine supposedly provides enough torque under 2500 to get them going (others are only effective above 5000). The article (from 2004) has a couple great drawings of the ferrari and renault 'boxes, the renault is about 50% longer from the front mounting face to the centers of the driveshafts.

oh, and one last thing. F**k Albers!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2