+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: how mant teams use CVT?

The university at buffalo team uses a CVT from Gaged Engineering. They are designed for jr dragsters. Really small, light, and easy to package. Great customer service too.

There is usually a couple teams using a cvt at every event. I would estimate 10-15 teams worldwide.

Why so few?
    Back Yard Formula Engineering

Because most teams use 600 CC motorcycle engines.

Almost all of these engines have a six-speed transmission that is mounted within the engine case.

Separating the transmission from the engine is nearly impossible.

Running a six-speed AND a CVT is dumb.

That's why =)

Separating them is difficult, but removing the shift linkage and 5 of the 6 gears and locking the trans in that one gear is pretty easy, removing both weight and rotational inertia.

That being said, these cars are so light that there is usually a substantial weight penalty, plus tuning a conventional mechanical CVT is really it's own specialty - you will note that many teams who use them are in areas where the students may likely have had experience with snowmobiles. There are whole books on the subject of tuning clutches and CVT's. You need accurate dyno prints of the torque curve for your particular engine and drive configuration to really do it correctly, otherwise it might end up hurting performance more than it would help.

Best,
    Drew

Northwestern Formula Racing Alum
    Head Engineer, Frame/Suspension 2006-2009

My '73 Saab 99 Road Race Build

How about using an engine with CVT?

Does it cost too much for an engine with CVT?

Any team using an engine with CVT?

Using a snowmobile engine that is 4 stroke will be an excellent idea. The newer Yamaha Phazer four stroke (NOT the old 2-stroke) is a beautiful engine package. Fuel injected, liquid cooled twin with a CVT. While only 500cc, it puts out 80hp stock. And with the tuning available for the CVT you can maximize that horse power at all speeds with no shifting required.

So far, no teams are using it that I am aware of. Someday, someone will and I believe it will astound people. Someday....

James

hm...wpi is using one this year...
    WPI FSAE 05-08
    Cranfield University-CFD 08-09

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
    So far, no teams are using it that I am aware of. Someday, someone will and I believe it will astound people. Someday....
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree. For the current SAE format, CVT can be a perfect part in the car.

It would take dedication to set it up and you would have to be willing to take the risk but once you got a year of using it and good knowledge it will mean you would get some great results.

I have heard of teams in the past trying out CVT but as far as I know, no team has stuck to one and tried to make it a good system over a couple of years.
    -----------------------------------
    UniSA 07

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast