+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: History of Formula SAE/Student

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
    Akron was the first to compete in the mini baja and formula comp with the same car. Ran a briggs v twin for the formula which i believe is also a first and they were doing awesome in the formula comp until the fuel pump let go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know if we did this a couple of years in a row or not but I've heard we won fuel economy with the "Bamula" car.
    Brake Team
    Zips Racing
    The University of Akron
    www.zipsracing.com <---- Cool New Website
    http://www.uakron.edu/groups/sae/formula/

I am pretty sure the bajamula was in 1995 but i have no pics to back this up. I know that they got a right up in Race Car Engineer for it.

Curtin may have been the first to use "active" rear suspension mounts on it's 2008 FSAE-A car...

edit: by "active" I mean compliant leading to endurance disqualification
    Curtin Motorsport Team 07-08
    http://motorsport.curtin.edu.au/

our 07 car with the Mahle 3 cyl must count for something, shouldnt it? I wish I could find pics of that car in comp dress
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Stewart-Haas Racing, Kettering University, or their employees, students, administrators or sponsors.

Didn't Aachen use the Mahle 3 cyl several years beforehand?
    Malcolm Graham
    University of Auckland '06-'09
    www.fsae.co.nz

Hmmm,

Time to get my head bitten off.

I'll claim the following for the University of Western Australia:

1) First open wheel race car to be equipped with H2 - Kinetic suspension system. This is not active suspension, but a passive system controlled by interconnected dampers. (2004)
    2) First non-autoclaved composite vehicle. My basis for this was that a patent was developed for this particular system (2003) and an article written somewhere.
    3) First full one piece carbon fibre monocoque chasis (2005)
    4) Full electric gear shift (2006).
    5) Torsion bar corner springs (2006).

Photos can be found at the website http://motorsport.mech.uwa.edu.au.

Otherwise, I can do more digging and get some.

*puts on flame suit*

Fred

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Royce:
    I believe that the University of Guelph (Ontario) had a 4WD car at the 2004 FSAE Michigan competition. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They also finished in top 20 with it in Michigan...
    Finished @ UofT Racing
    2003-2007
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred G:
    Hmmm,

Time to get my head bitten off.

I'll claim the following for the University of Western Australia:

1) First open wheel race car to be equipped with H2 - Kinetic suspension system. This is not active suspension, but a passive system controlled by interconnected dampers. (2004)
    2) First non-autoclaved composite vehicle. My basis for this was that a patent was developed for this particular system (2003) and an article written somewhere.
    3) First full one piece carbon fibre monocoque chasis (2005)
    4) Full electric gear shift (2006).
    5) Torsion bar corner springs (2006).

Photos can be found at the website http://motorsport.mech.uwa.edu.au.

Otherwise, I can do more digging and get some.

*puts on flame suit*

Fred </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

[BITE]

We (Brunel Racing) had a full carbon monocoque back in 2001.

James

[/BITE]
    James Stephens
    Brunel Racing
    2008-2009 Engine Development Engineer
    2009-2010 Powertrain Manager
    2010-?? Mahle Powertrain Graduate Engineer

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fred G:
    2) First non-autoclaved composite vehicle. My basis for this was that a patent was developed for this particular system (2003) and an article written somewhere. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Nah, first non-autoclaved prepreg perhaps, but there would be plenty of wet laminated and infused monocoques that would have never seen an autoclave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
    4) Full electric gear shift (2006). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    We also had a "full electric gear shift" in 2006 (it may have been there in 2005 too but didn't get used), and I'm pretty sure that I read mentions in the forums about people using a similar system in earlier years.
    Malcolm Graham
    University of Auckland '06-'09
    www.fsae.co.nz

Well.. we were the first team from South America in 2002 i think..

At least in our country we did made history :P
    -----------------------------------
    Drivetrain Leader 07-08
    Technical Director 08-09
    Team FSAE USB - Caracas - Venezuela.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast