+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Gixxerkart hits the road

Thought I could update the FSAE community after a long delay

http://www.motokarts.com/videos/kartdrivedone.wmv
    There is more footage but its pretty boring hope to have more later :hs:
    Here it is after painting it all weekend long

If you have missed the build you can also check out http://www.motokarts.com

Looks very dangerous and uncomfortable.
    Fast is fun but unsafe is stupid....

I feel sorry for your tires.

My $0.02
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

Looks good, does it feel resonably stable with the motor up that high? How much did it end up weighing?

Is that the fun police? There must be a story.
    'engine and turbo guy'
    Cornell 02-03

I'd say you could drop that engine quite a bit.. looks a little dicey!!

Looks fun though. Even if highly dangerous

The only way he's ever going to get that thing to turn in any decent fashion is with that engine weight up high like that. Frankly, with that much stiffness through the middle of the kart, and the solid rear axle, it's going to probably be a losing proposition to get that thing to turn at all!

You may have a fighting chance if the engine doesn't go through you when you get in a front end crash (if whatever it is you hit doesn't take off your legs first). As silly as it sounds, I would recommend a rib vest with a chest plate since you're so rediculously close to that steering wheel.

They tell us that suicide is the greatest piece of cowardice; . . . that suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in the world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person.
    -Arthur Schopenhauer
    Good luck man. Keep the rubber side down!

-Kirk

I hope your next thread isn't titled "My bare backside hits the road".

A full set of motorcycle leathers would probably at least give you a fighting chance of survival with that.

Btw, Kirk, who cares about steering response. Isn't that what the pedal on the right is for? Surely when he presses the throttle, it won't be going straight.
    --------------------------
    Matt Giaraffa
    Missouri S&T (UMR) FSAE 2001 - 2005

You bunch of nacy's! :P I doubt he intended it to be more than a bit of fun, and your no more exposed than a normal kart. I'd strongley suggest a set of kart overalls, but frontal impacts? SuperKarts do 160mph.....
    Triumph Motorcycles
    Chassis Design Engineer

FSAE '05-08 UBRacing
    2008 Technical Director and Sprint/Endurance Driver
    2007 Powertrain Team Leader and Sprint/Endurance Driver

Enjoy your short and colorful life:-)

So many na-sayers. I betcha that shit is fun as hell, and he isn't going to take it on the highway with cars. If he doesn't drive it where he needs front end impact protection, he doesn't need front end impact protection. If you all go stand in a field, is it dangerous because you didn't bring a hardhat? You know, something could fall out of the sky.
    'engine and turbo guy'
    Cornell 02-03

I'd drive the sh!t out of that thing! Can't be that much more dangerous than any modern crotch rocket.

Golfer, your crazy man, but i'm sure you have more fun than most.
    Mike D
    UTSA 04-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast