+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Aprilia SXV 550

Hi,
    the Ape has a very bad reputation, which is particularly justified. Before You decide to use it, read the Ape forum by AF1Racing to see, what will or can happen.
    Also new engines bought in the last two years come directly from the Aprilia plant with wron assembled oil seals, metal flakes in the cases due to careless cleaning and forgotten Loctite on some important bolts.
    If You have all the the assembling problems by Aprilia fixed and overwork some parts it is a really nice and realiable engine. But this may take some years...
    We use it since 2009 and hope to have all the teething troubles fixed. One year ago I would have said, that we have all fixed, but the Ape is always good for something new ;-)

Originally posted by cal_len1:
    My advisor just informed me you called. However, we do not have the funds this year to purchase one a new engine. In the next year or two it is possible, but as of this year we cannot purchase one.
    Thanks for posting. I know they aren't cheap, but they do have a great power to weight ratio!!

Hello there!

I belong to a new team in Spain and we are considering to use this engine. Has anybody got any CAD file of it? I seem unable to find any -there were some links in this forum, but they are dead.

Regards

Originally posted by Olitecnic:
    I belong to a new team in Spain and we are considering to use this engine.
    I don't believe I am the first to say that a new team should probably not go with this engine. I can think of at least two mid-tier teams that made the switch from the Ape to 450 cc singles this year and both were glad they did it.

Will your team have the resources to fully disassemble and correctly rebuild brand new engines? Will 65 hp be faster in acceleration and autocross than 55 hp? Can you find replacement parts and can you afford them when you do find them? These are questions your team should think hard about before choosing an engine.
    -----------------------------------
    Matt Birt
    Engine Calibration and Performance Engineer, Enovation Controls
    Former Powertrain Lead, Kettering University CSC/FSAE team
    1st place Fuel Efficiency 2013 FSAE, FSAE West, Formula North
    1st place overall 2014 Clean Snowmobile Challenge

Originally posted by Leibi:
    Hi,
    the Ape has a very bad reputation, which is particularly justified. Before You decide to use it, read the Ape forum by AF1Racing to see, what will or can happen.
    Also new engines bought in the last two years come directly from the Aprilia plant with wron assembled oil seals, metal flakes in the cases due to careless cleaning and forgotten Loctite on some important bolts.
    If You have all the the assembling problems by Aprilia fixed and overwork some parts it is a really nice and realiable engine. But this may take some years...
    We use it since 2009 and hope to have all the teething troubles fixed. One year ago I would have said, that we have all fixed, but the Ape is always good for something new ;-)

If sketchy building from the factory doesn't scare you, the required rebuild by amateurs should.
    Kettering University Vehicle Dynamics
    Formula SAE 2010 - 2015
    Clean Snowmobile Powertrain 2012 - 2015

Boogityland 2015 - Present

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2