+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New book: mid-engine sports car design - from scratch

You should definetly bring a bunch of copies to FSAE - West. That way, we get to meet you, talk, and get it signed!

I like colour *cough*
    --------------------------------------
    UVic Alumni - EE
    UVic Elec. Team Leader 2007

If you see the color version you'll want one(!), but it's expensive - $80. I get just a few at a time for signing (yes, believe it or not, some people actually want my signature). I can't afford to buy a bunch and have them sit on a shelf.

OTOH, if you guys let me know you're firm buyers of the $80 color or $30 b/w, I can bring them to FSAE West. You just have to tell me no later than June 1 so I have time to order them. Another perk of picking it up at the event is there's no shipping... which I have to eat, BTW.
    Tube-frame, carbon composite-shell, Honda-powered, mid-engine Mini: www.kimini.com.
    Buy my book: How to design and build a mid-engine sports car - from scratch. http://www.kimini.com/book_info/

$80 eh...hmmm, I suddenly like BW alot more.
    UVic Alumni - EE

Just wait until you see a copy,

Understood though, I'll have b/w copies with me, too.
    Tube-frame, carbon composite-shell, Honda-powered, mid-engine Mini: www.kimini.com.
    Buy my book: How to design and build a mid-engine sports car - from scratch. http://www.kimini.com/book_info/

Just got my copy this morning and am yet to reach the inevitable chapter-to-be-read-after-the-interesting-stuff.

The good:
    Writing style reminds me of the CSmith series, just a little less technical (as is implied by the objectives). Gives good (clear) examples (very effectively 'disclaimered'...), something these forums could benefit from to avoid the occassional "so... where do I put my roll centers?". Lotsa useful pics and sketches. Book feels 'meaty' but words are not oversized or inflict images of a short bus. BW edition pics are much clearer than expected.

The bad:
    Publishers need to get rid of the fluff (there're like 5 blank pages at the beginning!) and the colors & pic on the front cover look a bit bland.

I'd be willing to bet the Motorbooks lawyers are looking for fine print.

Thanks for the honest appraisal. While I can partly blame the book industry for the blank pages, I'm the one who put them in, following "industry standards." Now that it's done, though, I agree that it's dumb to have them. The second edition will see them removed.

Oh, and thanks for saying that my book's not "short bus" material, lol.

With FSAE West coming up, this is a reminder I'll be there with my car and some books! The only issue will be how to meet up, since I'll be chasing cones (not that you hit cones, of course). Or, you can order them through the link posted above in this thread.

I got permission to park in the vendor area at FSAE West, the catch being that I can't sell anything since I'm not a paying vendor. A few copies of my book might find their way up with me, so if you want one we can work something out. I'll be at the car at lunchtime and when I'm not working, or checking out car, or taking pictures. I know how busy you guys will be, but try to stop by at some point. I'll be wearing a Mini T-shirt.

Well, I definitely want a copy, so we're going to have to make sure we find each other somehow.
    UVic Alumni - EE

Darn, wish I could see it in person. One of these days I will remember to buy your book!
    Mike Duwe
    UWP Alumni

Former Drivetrain Leader and Team Captain

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> KB58: I'll be wearing a Mini T-shirt. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

U'll be more likely to get more male visitors if u wear full sized clothing...
    [couldn't resist]

Finally finished the book!

This book should be among the highly recommended reading list for FSAE teams. The engineering approach to design, implementation and even the inevitable after-build "dangit" is very similar to preparing a car for FSAE competition (although without the testicular-constricting time constraint). A dose of technical input, lots of project management and a 25lbs-sledge-hammer-hit of reality.

Beware of the almost irresistable urge to build something while reading the book... (i.e. keep the rookies off the important stuff if they're reading it).

Kudos

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast