+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: pwned in design

All right vets, lets hear it. What kind of crazy design questions have you gotten owned by in the past?

All right vets, lets hear it. What kind of crazy design questions have you gotten owned by in the past?

Last year our suspension guy got pwned by Claude asking something simple like distribution of roll stiffness front to rear and also which tires are more heavily loaded when steering with caster......ya, I don't think he even got to any crazy questions. That's what happens when someone practically rebuilds a previous design and doesn't attempt to understand the theory.
    Jared Anderson
    University of Kansas
    Jayhawk Motorsports FSAE

i too have been pwned by claude in design. He asked me what the roll stiffness distribution was, and i grabed my comp. to see what the exact number was, and he got offended and said "if you can't remember these things about your car, you must not love it. What is your girl friends phone number." and i had to reached for my phone.
    University of Oklahoma alum
    Sooner Racing team...sae.ou.edu
    " I see no point in being the richest man in the cemetery."
    "Bail!! Bail!!"

The one i was not able to answer at the time was:
    "What is the elastic modulus of your brake pads?"
    -Steve Yao
    UNM LoboMotorsports '03-'05
    UWashington Formula SAE '06-'08

We didnt get owned but one question that we got last year at West was how would you adjust the brakes if you were running in the rain.
    Pablo

With the brake pedal?
    Wesley
    OU Sooner Racing Team Alum '09

connecting-rods.blogspot.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kyle Walther:
    i too have been pwned by claude in design. He asked me what the roll stiffness distribution was, and i grabed my comp. to see what the exact number was, and he got offended and said "if you can't remember these things about your car, you must not love it. What is your girl friends phone number." and i had to reached for my phone. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! He straight up dissed you and proceeded to tear you a new one! I think he was a little out of line in saying that, though.
    -----------------------------
    CFS13 - Drivetrain
    "The pleasure of driving shouldn't be something that's reserved for people with very deep pockets."-Conor (I modified it a little bit)

Judges at FSAE West did not do much 'owning'. At any rate, our judges pretty much waited for us to talk to them rather than ask us detailed questions as they do at Detroit.

The pad modulus question is one I got in Michigan 2004.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pablo180:
    We didnt get owned but one question that we got last year at West was how would you adjust the brakes if you were running in the rain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    -Steve Yao
    UNM LoboMotorsports '03-'05
    UWashington Formula SAE '06-'08

yeah, yeah, i know. replying to old posts. how sad.

but....

by chance i found the brake bias one in Olley Chassis Design because I am finishing to read one chapter i long left due to falling asleep in the middle of it. yeah. how sad too that I dont read Playboy un sundays.

so, Olley says you can use for example 60:40 in the dry and 55/45 in the rain. his exact words are:
    ----------------------------------------------
    On a dry road, with 60/40 brake distribution the rear brake force meets the brake capacity line at point A (this is just relative to the car params of some kind of 50s saloon car. Chris). From then on the rear wheels are locked, but extra deceleration can be obtained from the front brakes.

With 55/45 brake distributionthe rear wheels lock sooner. Extra deceleration is obtained from the front brakes.

On the wet road with 60/40 distribution the front wheels will lock first.
    With 55/45 distribution the rear wheels will still lock first (but with a higher value of deceleration. Chris)
    Probably there are some reasons for keeping the 55/45 distribution even though it sacrifices some stopping power on dry roads.
    -------------------------------------------

I am somewhat confused as to why the good ol god of vehicle dynamics accepted the fact that the rear tyres will lock first. possibly at low speed this is ok but from my experience at high speed this may cause fishtailing and general mad twirling of the steering wheel while pumping the pedal to avoid skidding!

oh well. is that what Claude would like to hear?

LOL for the phone no. of the gf tho! To be honest who needs to know the number by heart unless they carry a US army Vietnam wireless phone in their backpack??

I wouldnt get too upset about this stuff, even if it ruins ones chances in the final. fact is, sometimes shit happens.
    ...we got emergency on planet earth

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast