+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Formula North 2012 Competition: - Updates, Pictures, Stories, and More

I thought you guys had drivetrain issues? Or was that before dynamic events started?

Either way unlucky. BOL next year

Both engines had connecting rod bearing failures.
    The first engine started to make a ticking sound a day before comp. It became so loud that we failed the noise test thursday night, so we swapped engines friday. The new one worked until our second skid pad run when we started hearing loud ticking again, then the engine just wouldn't turn over.
    Our engine guy is doing a full autopsy on the engines this week. We're not sure if this was just bad bearings, or a problem caused by something we did to the car.
    Western Formula Racing
    The University of Western Ontario
    Alumnus

"If I had one hour to save the world, I would spend 55 minutes defining the problem and only five minutes finding the solution." –Einstein, Albert

For sure man, that is true. At least RR got to race in all events. That sucked for your engine, especially when I came over and saw all those chunks of metal =(. I hope you can figure out what caused it and fix it for next year!

Con rod failure and loud ticking eh? At the risk of causing this thread to stray, I would recommend checking your ignition timing. It may not be common to get engine knock on this size of engine but with the right (read:wrong) amount of spark advance you can certainly achieve early detonation.
    Owen Thomas
    University of Calgary FSAE, Schulich Racing

Adam
    Any views or opinions expressed by me may in no way reflect those of Kettering University, it's students and administrators, or our sponsors.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3