+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Formula North 2012 Competition: - Updates, Pictures, Stories, and More

us old guys have no faith. The racecar gods have smite us to much.
    ----
    Mike Cook
    It's an engineering competition, not an over-engineering competition!

With the California competition a thing of the past, we've found it interesting how much similarity the Barrie, Ontario, Canada area (where the arena is at least) strikes with the Ontario, California area. The developing area has dusty, light-colored dirt, you can see the (slightly) mountainous region topped with haze in the distance, and we're an hour from the coast (although the Great Lakes are no Pacific Ocean).

Most of the 20 teams that showed made it through tech inspection yesterday and today is filled with static events. The weather has been excellent thus far and we hope it continues for the dynamic events.
    -----------------------------------
    Matt Birt
    Engine Calibration and Performance Engineer, Enovation Controls
    Former Powertrain Lead, Kettering University CSC/FSAE team
    1st place Fuel Efficiency 2013 FSAE, FSAE West, Formula North
    1st place overall 2014 Clean Snowmobile Challenge

A little update for anyone interested after endurance.

ETS dnf on second driver after to losing an exhaust tip.

McGill dnf due to small water leak

Looks like Metropolia will take the entire event.

Oakland University was also pretty fast. Finished their last 5 or 6 laps of endurance with a side pod bent up to the top of their drivers head but weren't DQ'd.

This was a great overall event. Facilities and organization was quite good, along with all of the volunteers and design judges.
    The surfaces used for the dynamic events were a bit dusty and it was slightly difficult to get a good view of the cars, (no seating besides your own foldout chair).

Claude Rouelle was nice enough to offer a casual design review upon being asked today. We would like to thank him again for his generosity, as our team definitely received some great insight. Can't wait for the OptimumG seminar after Lincoln!

This is an event that will very likely be added on the calender for next year.
    Iowa State Formula SAE

I agree. Great Event. It had its share of goof-ups as expected for a first year event and in-experienced volunteer crew but the crew was quick to admit their mistakes, react to changes and the event always continued smoothly, working through lunch or later into the night when needed. SAE could learn something from them.

Hope to be back next year!

Great to see that another "unofficial" FSAE event satisfies the students.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">SAE could learn something from them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It seems to me as if having an event completely run by former team members like FS North, FS Hungary, FS Germany and FS Austria is more like a quality seal than being an "official" SAE event...at least telling from the feedback in this forum. I wonder what an event has to do to become an official SAE event. Does anyone know?

Fantomas
    Scores under pressure

Pictures from Saturday during Autocross:

https://plus.google.com/photos.../5747729063473053425

Anyone see pic they like to use send me a PM with the filename and I'll get you the full 12MP image.

The location was pretty good, though as noted it is definitely dusty. You can tell though the organizers are pretty green, but for the students who started it they did a great job pulling it off. I'd note some minor safety issue within the dynamic area with photogs being quite close to the racing lane, or the teams waiting inline got probably too close to the track as well. Next year maybe fence off a bigger area from the space between the practice pad and the dynamic area. Also I seem to recall in Michigan it was usually frown upon to do practice accel launches in the practice area....
    Finished @ UofT Racing
    2003-2007
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

It was a fun event. I know we learned alot of things for next year. What we need to improve on and making sure engines don't blow 3wks before the race.

See you guys next year!

Thanks for your feedback and comments! We realize we are a first year event and know that there are many improvements that need to be made.

You can visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/formulanorth for pictures or follow us on Twitter @FormulaNorth for updates.

2013 on its way....
    Formula North
    June 4-7, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    www.formulanorth.com
    www.facebook.com/formulanorth
    @FormulaNorth

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It was a fun event. I know we learned alot of things for next year. What we need to improve on and making sure engines don't blow 3wks before the race </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    3wks before? How about making sure your engine doesn't blow on the morning of static events... or during your skid pad run?

But in all seriousness, thank you to all the teams who helped us out over the weekend. Special thanks to the guys at Oakland University for their support and the team from Concordia University for offering their spare engine to us.

Overall the event went really well for it's first time. The sponsors and volunteers who made it happen deserve a big thank you. Hope to see everyone again next year!
    Western Formula Racing
    The University of Western Ontario
    Alumnus

"If I had one hour to save the world, I would spend 55 minutes defining the problem and only five minutes finding the solution." –Einstein, Albert

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast