Thread: Team Motivation

wow...
    Stan Weed
    UNH Precision Racing
    '05,'06
    Electronics Team Captain
    Engine Team
    General Smart Ass

Wow, sounds like it'll rip the callus' right off your hand.
    -----------------------------
    CFS13 - Drivetrain
    "The pleasure of driving shouldn't be something that's reserved for people with very deep pockets."-Conor (I modified it a little bit)

or for the faint of heart, just try doing things you would normally do with friends. over half our team regularly go mountain biking at local trails. We always enjoy a good break to go to the nearest bar/grill. team moral has not been a problem at all this year for us. We have Formula 1 parties every race with brots, beer and friends. and it's not like we have only 5 people. we have 18 extremely active team members, and had as many as 30 participating before winter break (i think the break scared a bunch off).
    UTA Racing
    Team Captain '06

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by absolutepressure:
    Wow, sounds like it'll rip the callus' right off your hand. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

no way... just grab hold, don't let it slip to much. start the drill on a table facing you, cup the screwdriver handle like you would a cup of hot chocolate on a cold day, and grab hold! it is absolutely hillarious.. but once you've tried it once you realize it is not that hard. like doing backflips on a snowboard or something, takes balls of steel at first, then you find it is easy.

i'll make a video some night and post it up demonstrating the proper rodeo technique (may not be until the austrailia GP thought, cause its more fun with more people trying it)
    UTA Racing
    Team Captain '06

wonder would they make this a dynamic event
    Everthing you want is just outside your comfort zone!

So what do you do when no one on the team cares about the engineering aspects and wants to build a hillbilly go-kart for donuts in the local PD lot? There must be some way to commucate important concepts with these people...

When I was a faculty advisor, I successfully got my students up to 13 quarter credits for working on SAE student design projects:

3 credit vehicle dynamics class
    3 credit vehicle design project class
    1 credit senior design project - I (project definition and planning)
    3 credit senior design project - II (project work)
    3 credit senior design project - III (more project work - this class was optional, and not all other students took it. The SA folks did, as their projects were of sufficient scope.)

To take the vehicle design class and be approved to do their senior design project on one of the vehicle designs, the students need my permission to register. I only gave that permission if the students worked on one of the projects in a year prior to their becoming a senior, and if they demonstarted sufficient dedication and committment.

I still had students drop out during the sequence.

Still, those with sufficient motivation received credit for their work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4