+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula Student 2005 Competition: Updates, Pictures, Stories, and More

Wow this is awesome news....maybe I should just give up going to England for FS if we were to go back.....I went last year and we came home 2nd, while 03 and 05 both were winning years....
    Finished @ UofT Racing
    2003-2007
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

The reason brookes failed the enduro was a failure in the rear blead nipple. I wasn't the only problem for us on the weekend, having had a circlip failure on a drive shaft which allowed it to fall out of the tripode during the skid pan.
    As for thew barrier tape, several teams seemed that they couldn't be bothered to open the back of they're own pit and would use ours as a short cut out. This became very annoying when trying to work on the car, had you wanted to look at the car you only had to ask, as many teams did.
    Also, did anyone manage to 'aquire' an imeche blimp?

Congrats to my ex team!!!!!!!!

I must admit, I thought Waterloo would take it after finishing 4th at FSAE....but my ex-team mate and enduro partner in crime Jerry Z. showed FSAE-dom that he is the quickest guy in a 20mm restricted student built car!!!

Way to keep Toronto's record in the UK at alternating 1st and 2nd places every year since 2002!!!

MOre photos please anybody else?
    Vinh Pham
    Toronto FSAE Alumni 01-04
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca
    2003 Formula Student Champs!

Originally posted by vinHonda:
    ...my ex-team mate and enduro partner in crime Jerry Z. showed FSAE-dom that he is the quickest guy in a 20mm restricted student built car!!!
    Congrats to U of T on another win in England. But, I have to ask, where was this Jerry Z in Detroit?
    Alumni, University of Washington
    Structural / Mechanical Engineer, Blue Origin

he ran a 57s lap in autocross but nudged 2 cones.....

I must say our setup in Detoit was not perfect, too loose in autocross and too tight in Enduro(compensating for autocross and the track went slower)....
    Finished @ UofT Racing
    2003-2007
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

OH LORDY LORDY isn't that U of T car somethin special!! My congratulations to all my former team mates - sucks replying as the tech director that didn't bring home the gold (wedged betweeen two golds) last year but I can say (from my first hand spectatorship) that this win was no fluke! They have been testing this car everyday for months now - and from what I hear '06 is in design. Y'all got a crazy strong Toronto team coming up underneath the graduating members of the current one so don't expect a break. i.e. get started the second you get home. Get those cars finishing endurance dammit - forget the glitter - build a car that works first.

Congratulations to the whole team, their sponsors and faculty support - sooooo very proud.

JerK.

Ok, just got back from the UK. The competition was excellent, the number of quality cars has definitely increased over the previous years. I especially enjoyed watching the Waterloo car fly over the circuit, but there were plenty of other good drivers there.

The Delft car didn't perform as expected in my opinion due to a lack of testing time and the wrong tire compound. Apparently LeCont stopped producing their softest compound which is critical if you have such a light car. Now the car was sliding and wheelspinning all over the place.

Denny: The lexan plates had to be mounted because the scrutineers feared the shocks would explode I can't imagine that has ever happened to an FSAE car.
    It is getting ridiculous, I bet next year they'll have them mount fenders as tires can also explode.......
    As I'm not part of the team and not too knowledgeable about suspension I can't comment on the performance of the shocks.

Well, back to playing with bigger cars again,
    Igor

Four comps as a student, first comp as a design judge.

Great weather, better track surface and lots of interesting cars. I'll restrict my comments to design event related matters.

1. 3Hz ride frequencies and standard mountain bike damers is not a good way to 'increase transient response'. Sensible roll stiffness and good low speed damping would be better
    2. If asked the value of a vehicle parameter in a design event "didn't you read our spec sheet?" is the wrong answer. I hope further elaboration isn't required as to why.
    3. The word optimise implies you have used an objective metric and have the numbers. If you don't, don't use the word. We read lots of design reports, I was keeping a tally, one UK team won by a long way...
    4.ETS were awesome and did well in design because they did exactly what they had been asked to do by the judges last year.
    5. Would Delft be better off adding a few Kgs and actually finishing? Flame away on that one.

Ben
    -

Well said Kenny! As a team leader, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the boys on behalf of me and Jon for such an excellent job for Oxford Brookes University, something to be proud of. This is the best team that we've both worked with and the best that Brookes has had and its been an extremely emotional year and weekend. The car only had bodywork on it 2 weeks ago so if that's all you can do in terms of results i.e. the 2 British teams that were in the top 10 well you've got a lot to answer for. We finished 15th without finishing the enduro with a failure that was not down to any designed parts of our own and that says something.

As for not doing any favours for ourselves in terms of closing our pit area, Brookes has been helping teams all weekend for example Delhi and lent tools all the time. Sounds like whoever you are from Cambridge - Mark, your a bit jealous!

The OBU team for 2005, thank you please

Students

Jon Nicholls
    Owain Davies
    Matt Beasley
    Joe Hartog
    Max Lotto
    Ian Cooke
    Fran Wilson
    Richard Messenger
    Luke Thompson
    Sanje Valvill
    Craig Dawson
    Kiran Devlukia
    Nathan Skinner
    James Jiggy Gornall
    Luke Green
    Tony Upright

Lecturers

Howard Ash
    James Balkwill
    Nick Bowler
    Geoff Goddard

The reason brookes failed the enduro was a failure in the rear blead nipple. I wasn't the only problem for us on the weekend, having had a circlip failure on a drive shaft which allowed it to fall out of the tripode during the skid pan.
    As for thew barrier tape, several teams seemed that they couldn't be bothered to open the back of they're own pit and would use ours as a short cut out. This became very annoying when trying to work on the car, had you wanted to look at the car you only had to ask, as many teams did.
    Also, did anyone manage to 'aquire' an imeche blimp?[/QUOTE]

Stralsund was driven 52,5s with a broken rear anti roll bar after 4 laps and drove nearly only on 3 tires th whole endurence. TU Graz had problems with tires. Brunswick cv joint fail, but either the wasn´t as fast as last year. Luleas engine blow up after turbo failed. Fastest cars was waterloo.

Leeds car lost fuel in acceleration and behind leeds the track was burning, but nothing happends to the drivers.

Track marshalls wasn´t good. I saw nearly 5 crahses because the missed showing yellow flags.

on of the best enginered cars for me was Munich. 197 KG, 4 Cylinder engine, own made diff, 86 HP and great sound and they drove under 5 sec in all skid pad runs. never seen such a fast skid pad driving.
    Student Racing Team Stralsund 1999-2003

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast